ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
There also is an issue of the conductor being able to dissipate heat better when in a dry location.

It gets even more interesting when you install THW conductors in a conduit with other conductors that have THHN insulation. This would have us derating from the 75° column for THHN even in a dry location.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Why would a dry location dissipate heat better. Water is a better conductor.
I think the reality is U/L is behind in the technology and covering their ass

Greg Fretwell
E
Ya, water cooled conductors

P
pdh Offline
gfretwell: It might be an issue that the insulation degrades faster when wet, as well as faster when hotter. Both hot and wet and the degradation could be greater than the accepted level. But while wet, drop from hot to not so hot and you're back at the acceptable level. This is just a guess. It might really be some other reason entirely. But based on my study of chemistry three decades ago, it is a very plausible effect.

Also, in a confined space, the water is not going to be carrying the heat away unless it goes away. If the space is tight, like solid conduit, the water is not really a factor because it just stays there as hot as everything else. Get the temperature above 100C and you have steam, and pressure, and some will go away, carrying some heat with it. But this process stops when the vapor pressure equalizes, and you still have 100C destroying your insulation.

To have water cooled conductors, you'd have to arrange for the water to literally carry the heat away. Pumping water through could do that, but that requires special piping.

G
Why is it so hard to believe they can make 90c waterproof insulation?
I don't suppose it is worth arguing about. If that is the rule, rules is rules.

Greg Fretwell
W
Of course you can have wires with insulation rated to 90C when wet. Look for wires with type THWN-2 or type XHHW insulation, among many others. Ya gets what ya pay for....

Certainly not worth arguing about; but worth wondering about as to why and wondering what is available; perhaps someone here will notice that the standard THHN wire that they use just happens to be THWN-2 rated (rather than THWN rated) and we can all start asking for that particular brand. Or maybe someone has an application where hunting down XHHW insulated wire will save having to go up a wire size, and they'll remember this thread.

I generally don't have to deal with temperature ratings for building wire. But I have to deal with the temperature ratings for motor wire; which has an entirely different set of requirements. You don't pull in through conduit, so it doesn't need the same sort of abrasion resistance. But it will move around in the slots a bit. For efficiency you want to pack as much wire in as possible, and this means the insulation needs to be _thin_. Motors get hot, far hotter than most building wiring, but hot enough to stay quite dry...so you end up with wire that is rated for 220C, with very thin insulation good to high voltage, but which you simply could not use in a conduit for ordinary wiring. The temperature versus life issue is very explicit for this sort of wiring. When an insulation system is described as class 200C, that means that at the design voltage, at 200C, you can expect the insulation to last for 10000 hours before failure; this is hardly more than a year of continuous operation, so you generally aim to operate 20 to 40C below the temperature class.

-Jon

P
pdh Offline
Of course they can make insulation that is both waterproof and can withstand 90C while wet. But it's going to be more expensive than the insulation that can withstand 90C dry and 75C wet. Insulation that can only withstand 75C while dry would likely be cheaper (and easier to strip, too).

G
The stuff I have is also 105c MTW rated so I doubt this is anything more than a listing problem.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard