ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#85945 08/23/03 01:07 PM
C
Hi Bob

The reason ranges are not listed in 240.4 is because you are still require to protect the branch circuit conductors at their ampacity rating. If you run #8 60C conductors to a range you must protect them with a 40 amp overcurrent device. The conductors listed in 240.4(G) are generally allowed to be protected by branch circuit overcurrent devices exceeding their rating.

I don't know how the demand factor for ranges ever came about or any of the demand factors for dwelling units for that matter. I do know that the seem to work. I have wired many ranges to 40 amp branch circuits and have never had a call back because of a tripping breaker. There are also probably over a million apartments in this country supplied with 50 or 60 amp feeders that have 12kw ranges in them.

My guess is the NEC looks at ranges similarly to the way it does welders. The full load nameplate rating will never be on the branch circuit very long so running full sized branch circuit is unnecessary. The reduced branch circuit can easily handle carrying more than its rating for short periods of time.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85946 08/23/03 01:46 PM
I
Curt, OK you have converted me, I have learned something, thanks. [Linked Image]

When I think of demand factors I think of more than 1 unit and the chances of them all running at the same time.

This really blows me away for two reasons.

1)It goes against most of the NEC rules for OCP, conductor and receptacle selection

2)It is a blatant use of common sense by the NEC. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard