ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 396 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#71290 10/26/06 04:23 AM
E
e57 Offline
Anyone ever here of these two rules: (Two simple rules I have known since I started the trade.)
Follow the short from the source.
In this method you follow a short by measuring its ohm value, and following it though and taps of the circuit until you find it or pass it. If you pass it, take one step back. There it is... In this process you're splitting the circuit down to managable parts, only following the path of the short. Works the same for over-load, or indirect short.

Follow the open to the source.
When following an open, you start from the device without power, (Phase or Neutral) and follow the circuit back through the successive devices and conductors that provide power to it.
~
I vaguely remember some accronym...

Interview the operator.
Determine the problem.
Expose the circuit
N...(Now learn the circuit operation.)
T... (Test, and take notes.)
Isolate the circuit.
Follow the path to the problem.
Y... (Something like "You're done, now fix it.")
That is an older post that I had on the topic of troubleshooting that kind of relates to this: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006311.html

Funny looking back to last year.... That PM I mentioned at the begining of that post - I went to work for that company, and that PM DROVE me NUTS!!!! Over-blown self-justifying cat herder, thought she knew everything, and said that she did so many things, so often that she believed herself.... I gave notice a few weeks ago, and will be leaving there the first week of November to go work for an old underling who is looking to grow - might work out to be a partnership....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#71291 10/26/06 10:21 AM
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Interesting acronym e57. That's the kind of stuff I intended this thread to bring forward.

Good luck with the new venture!

#71292 10/26/06 03:59 PM
G
The first question I used to ask when I walked on on a "support" call was "can you draw a circle around the problem"? In some cases that may be a circle around the whole building but that is good to know too (you are sure it isn't a problem at the utility or common carrier). Then the trick is to keep drawing that circle smaller, being sure you don't let the fault get by you, until you get to the bad part.

Greg Fretwell
#71293 10/26/06 04:00 PM
R
Quote from Mountainman:

"My appologies Dnkldorf, I do not see were I said ""select" few," As other trade sites do you have to be licenced tradesman to enter certain boards were they can discuss issues like trouble shooting. The rest of your post is beneath me to comment on. Have a nice day!"

I do not post here very often but found this thread interesting. Yes, invitation only areas do exist in other forums. Their very existance created as a way for invited members to openly discuss what they would not post in an open forum and also as a means to keep certain undesirable, troublesome, bothersome, grating, irritating, obnoxious, quarrelsome, don't "get it" members out. Very effective for both reasons.

Anyway, Good site over here.

#71294 10/26/06 07:58 PM
Z
Zapped Offline OP
I really haven't run across any abrasive types in this forum. Although I've seen a few "heated" discussions occur here and there, they are always tempered with respect.

Personally, I like these forums the way they are - we also get input from other trades on occasion, which can be enlightning in certain instances and on certain issues. That would not be an option in a closed forum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard