ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 404 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#69688 09/17/06 06:29 PM
E
e57 Offline
They are that far out of touch.... [Linked Image]

aphares, I did some reasearch and it seems you have a simular law for plumbers state-wide in your state. And it may be your best bet. http://www.in.gov/pla/bandc/plumbing/

I think modeling any attempt you make after this set of regulations is your best option. And it will be all too easy to get this rolling with a few well placed letters to both sides of the political sides at play in these types of things. If you get them to work together from the start, your state will be much better off.

I sent you an e-mail... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#69689 09/17/06 06:36 PM
E
e57 Offline
Reno, I dont think anyone wants to answer that question... So the answer is NO... [Linked Image]

Most states link contracting and licensing for it with backround checks, drug testing, and finger-printing - because of course we are all thieves, or worse..... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And compentency is subjective.... In the last few years I have noticed that those with a card seem to be less competent than those who didnt get one. IMO A test no matter how it is applied can not weed out morons, just those who cant read or be allowed take a test.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-17-2006).]

Mark Heller
#69690 09/17/06 06:49 PM
R
Where did "crooked" come into play? You guys out west seem sour.

If you don't like your situation do something to change it. Pour out the contaminated Wheaties you're eating and get a fresh bowl. [Linked Image]

We have our crooked and incompetent contractors here in N.C. but overall they are the exception, not the rule.

BTW, I'm sorry for the sorry STATE (pun intended, couldn't help myself) of affairs you guys are complaining about.

Roger

#69691 09/17/06 06:55 PM
E
e57 Offline
Roger, your state might be an exception, but it seems most states have comsumer protection boards that see contractors (in general) as bastions of corruption, or other wild assumptions....

Be sure the contractor has a permanent business location and telephone number. Verify them. A contractor who operates a business out of the back of a pickup truck with a cellular telephone may be difficult to find to complete a job or fix something that has gone wrong after the last bill is paid.

~When you have narrowed your search down to two (2) or (3) possible contractors, call your local Better Business Bureau, your city or county building inspection department, the Consumer Protection Section of the Department of Justice (919-733-7741) and the appropriate licensing board (see Introduction and Licensing) to see if there have been serious complaints against any of them.
http://www.nclicensing.org/CA_Selecting.htm

[Linked Image]

Mark Heller
#69692 09/17/06 07:03 PM
R
Mark, why do you feel back ground checks are insulting or insinuating a potential contractor is a low life?

I think the license issuer has a right to know if a person is of character or no character.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-17-2006).]

#69693 09/17/06 07:05 PM
R

Be sure the contractor has a permanent business location and telephone number. Verify them. A contractor who operates a business out of the back of a pickup truck with a cellular telephone may be difficult to find to complete a job or fix something that has gone wrong after the last bill is paid.
~When you have narrowed your search down to two (2) or (3) possible contractors, call your local Better Business Bureau, your city or county building inspection department, the Consumer Protection Section of the Department of Justice (919-733-7741) and the appropriate licensing board (see Introduction and Licensing) to see if there have been serious complaints against any of them.

And what do you find upsetting about that?

I think it's good advice.

Roger

#69694 09/17/06 07:07 PM
E
e57 Offline
Roger appantly having a pick-up truck and a cell phone is grounds to question the back-round of a contractor in your state?

It's not that I find it insulting, but whats next DNA profiling? And it is not as if they do this type of thing for all proffessions.

Mark Heller
#69695 09/17/06 07:08 PM
L
LK Offline
"compentency is subjective"

Here in Jersey we had a pretty good test, you needed to know your stuff, to pass, then sometime in the mid 80's, they had complaints the test was to difficult, and they were not able to pass, so instead of sending, the poor babies back to school , they dumbed down the testing, so yes, even in jersey, there can be less than competent contractors out there, heck, they even complain now that the test is difficult, so now we have to run a CEU program, just to bring some of them up to a competent level, but we do have, a large number of competent electricians here, that do a good job, and are not crooks.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-17-2006).]

#69696 09/17/06 07:19 PM
E
e57 Offline
LK how does Jersey conduct these CEU's? Is it state run or is it through the many "licensing schools" where you can pay for "Guarnateed to Pass"? (on-line at that - not that I see anything wrong with on-line edjucation if done correctly with over-sight.)

Mark Heller
#69697 09/17/06 07:22 PM
R
Mark, I'm sorry but, I probably wouldn't hire a contractor whose business office is his pick-up, and as bad as it may sound, a contractor or business I would deal with will have a business phone that rings into a real office with an address.

As far as N.C. electrical contractors are concerned, it is pretty much that way in order to be legal.

Here is some more pertinent info

87-43. Electrical contracting defined; licenses.

Electrical contracting shall be defined as engaging or offering to engage in the business of installing, maintaining, altering or repairing any electric work, wiring, devices, appliances or equipment. No person, partnership, firm or corporation shall engage, or offer to engage, in the business of electrical contracting within the State of North Carolina without having received a license in the applicable classification described in G.S. 87-43.3 from the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors in compliance with the provisions of this Article, regardless of whether the offer was made or the work was performed by a qualified individual as defined in G.S.87-41.1.

In each separate place of business operated by an electrical contractor at least one listed qualified individual shall be regularly on active duty and shall have the specific duty and authority to supervise and direct all electrical wiring or electrical installation work done or made by such separate place of business.

Every person, partnership, firm or corporation engaging in the business of electrical contracting shall display a current certificate of license in his principal place of business and in each branch place of business which he operates. Licenses issued hereunder shall be signed by the chairman and the secretary-treasurer of the Board, under the seal of the Board. A registry of all licenses issued to electrical contractors shall be kept by the secretary-treasurer of the Board, and said registry shall be open for public inspection during ordinary business hours.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-17-2006).]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard