ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 420 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#67472 07/06/06 10:42 AM
N
I can't imagine why these are so expensive. It is just a reel counter with a wheel, pinch roller and a gear train that gets you to feet. Maybe you are paying for "legal for trade" accuracy/insurance.

If you take the readings and then charge the customer per foot for the wire used, wouldn't the device HAVE TO be certified as "legal for trade"? And then inspected by weights/measures people, etc....

#67473 07/06/06 10:43 AM

Tom
#67474 07/06/06 10:51 AM
E
A hint, the reel counters like they use on the wire cutting machines at HD and the wholesalers are not good for measuring while pulling runs.

The pincher system bounces too easily and therefore, begins to skip in the measuring process, if you pull the wire too quickly. Worst part is that it does it more with the larger guages of wire. Which is when you need the accuracy.

The most econimcal system that I have heard of is Sixer's system. Weight before you start, and weight again when you're done and you will know the difference, multi-ply by the factor for that size of wire and you know your length. Its an inexpensive solution.

#67475 07/06/06 08:25 PM
G
One question for Sixer. Why would you do this for CAT 5 or any telecomm wire and RG6 when the length is marked on the cable? Otherwise, weighing sounds good, but counting conduit lengths is so nicely low tech I think I'll stick with that.

#67476 07/06/06 08:51 PM
http://www.nextag.com/fish-scale/search-html

Take your choice. A lot more compact than a bath scale, & will weigh to the ounce.

#67477 07/06/06 10:09 PM
E
e57 Offline
"I've seen a meter where you look it up to both ends on the reel and it will tell how much is left?? not sure how accurate. You were supposed to be able to use it find a break in a wire also."

That would be a Time Domain Reflectometer . The very cheapest numerical model will also run you $500... However it requires at least 2 conductors in paralel for their length. Not totally acurrate, but serves its purpose in troubleshooting. I have this one, http://www.psiber.com/cabletool.html

I love it, use it too often. (Not much, but any is too often.) Recently found a screw in a cable. I usually get within 3'.... That one I got at 6"! The key is finding the right NVP for the cable.

Graphic models can show you every splice and connection or anolomoly in a run, but warning they are interpetive tools. Some can get even more pricey, like $10K.... Megger makes the Cadilac of these type item IMO. My old shop had one ('bout $2K) that I put to good use several times to justify its cost.... Boss got happier about that purchase over time...

There are also some that soley use resitance measurements to judge distance, but if using on a short you are dependant on the risistance of the short, and not very accurate. But will still run over $500...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#67478 07/07/06 12:13 AM
S
"One question for Sixer. Why would you do this for CAT 5 or any telecomm wire and RG6 when the length is marked on the cable?"

I'm trying to keep it simple by using one system of measuring.

I discussed it with my employees and considered a fish scale, but we decided that the bath scale would work better for us. I built a small plywood platform on the floor of the van which is 3" high - the scale slides under it....and the generator sits on top.
"Legal for trade" shouldn't be an issue as it's more accurate than guessing or pacing the runs off. I just set up this system a couple of weeks ago and so far it seems to be working good. I guess time will tell.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#67479 07/08/06 01:22 PM
P
When I was working at the crummy little hardware store in the next town, we didn't have a wire counter. We had markings on the floor every ten feet, and someone would stand on an end. They re-did the floors, and I ended up making one using the wheel and counter from one of those rolling measuring things (I forget what it's technically called, but it's a wheel on a stick, about 1' in diameter, you walk with it and it will measure the distance). I used another rubber wheel as a pinch roller, and some sheet metal on the sides where the wire went in. It was cheap, effective, and made mty life easier.

#67480 07/08/06 02:24 PM
H
I bought a $35 digital bathroom scale...

Those scales are SO innacurate! They are for fat women who want to think they lost weight. [Linked Image]

I also don't think this is a very accurate way to determine length used. Each time you start a new spool you need to weigh it and subtract the weight of the spool, especialy if you have multiple manufacturers. If you think they all weigh the same it's because your scale is crap. A decent (and accurate)digital shipping scale will run you about $200.

-Hal

#67481 07/08/06 04:24 PM
G
I was thinking the same thing Hal. The digital scales I have seen are nothing but a regular spring scale with a slotted disk and a counter to make it "digital". For some reason people assume digital means accurate.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard