ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline
Federal Pacific? Well known not to trip...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
This is anecdotal, because I don't rememeber who made the equipment: But I've run into a couple panels in a junior high-school where holding the breaker handles in the "on" position would keep them closed even during a severe OL.

Found this out one of the teachers demonstated how they tried to get a tripping breaker to "hold". It was a circuit to a fan with a locked-rotor, the guy held the breaker handle closed and looked at me going "See? It just won't stay for some reason." while the breaker hummed and crackled and started spitting sparks.

-John

Found this out one of the teachers demonstated how they tried to get a tripping breaker to "hold". It was a circuit to a fan with a locked-rotor, the guy held the breaker handle closed and looked at me going "See? It just won't stay for some reason." while the breaker hummed and crackled and started spitting sparks.

That's a prime example of a Darwin Award candidate. Try that cute stunt with the fact that POCO's have updated transformers and feeders to meet the higher demand, which makes the available short circuit current a lot higher (probably higher than the older equipment was designed for) and you're more likely to have that breaker explode in your face!! Followed by the entire panel going up.

That's why I always stand to one side and don't look at the panel when actuating breakers, fault or no fault.

Stupid should be painful.
The first actual NEC requirement that circuit breakers be "trip free", that is trip regardless of handle position, was in the 1975 Edition.

All the breakers I remember were that way anyhow.

T
That reminds me of the way I was taught old-timers located faults... burning them out by inserting a way larger or even blank fuse (take 50 amps instead of 10 or a solid aluminum fuse blank)...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard