ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 109
Grover Offline OP
Member
I have a residential customer who wants 2 ceiling fans installed. The ceiling is 2' grid t-bar, dropped about 2' below the flooring timbers - concealing plumbing and heating for the upstairs.

I guess I could do a common fan box with a long downrod and a hole throught the tile, but it would look tacky - no canopy cover....

Anyone done this? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 219
S
Member
Caddy makes a T-Bar Fan bracket.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 693
L
Member
I can't find it online, but I have three Carlon suspended-ceiling fan boxes. They support the weight with a length of chain, and have arms that attach to the grid to prevernt torque-induced rotation.

I'll see if I can find a part number for you. Something like this:

[Linked Image from residential-landscape-lighting-design.com]


Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
L
LK Offline
Member
Larry,

Good way to do it except, someone installed the ceiling at 2 inches, so now he will be mounting below the ceiling, I don't how they get the tiles out, without damage with only 2 inch clearance, well, those instructions for ceiling installation, were only printed because the manufacture, had a lot of ink, and paper laying around.

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 421
Member
LK....I thought it was 2 feet.....


Tom
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
L
LK Offline
Member
I belive, it's 3 1/2 inches min. clearance.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
I
Moderator
LK

Quote
The ceiling is 2' grid t-bar, dropped about 2' below the flooring timbers

[Linked Image]

Bob


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 421
Member
........I was right ?............alert the media


Tom
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
L
LK Offline
Member
Yes, and he did say long down rod, but residential, when he said hide pipes for upstairs, i am thinking basement, if it's 2 ft. that must be some basement, now it may be the first floor of 10ft ceiling, but most of the time we run into problems with too little clearance in basement, hope he comes back to let us know, but it may be the 2 ft because he did say long rod, the other confusing thing is, have to go thru ceiling, with 2 ft he has plenty of space, the no canopy cover is what has me thinking too close.



[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-28-2006).]

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,054
Likes: 40
G
Member
If it is really only a few inches up to the hard ceiling I would mount the box to truss and let it poke through the Tbar panel.

Take the panel out, locate your mounting spot, cut the ceiling panel and reinstall it, then put the box in the hole and screw it in.


Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5