ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 402 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Yes, you certainly can "pigtail down" to fit a device; just remember that the breaker must be sized to protect the pigtail. I wouldn't use stab-wiring in any case.

You can run #8 to a recepacle, and then use a smaller pigtail on the terminals, again as long as the breaker is rated for the smallest conductor it protects.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
W
You can run #8 to a recepacle, and then use a smaller pigtail on the terminals, again as long as the breaker is rated for the smallest conductor it protects.

You'd have to do that anyway, to protect whatever gets plugged into a 15 amp outlet. Typically a table lamp with #18 zip cord.

G
There is one very specific difference between the pigtail to a receptacle and the cord of a lamp you plug in. You are only providing short circuit protection to the lamp cord, the lamp socket itself is defacto overload protection. In the case of the receptacle you have to provide overlaod protection too, since you have no control over what is going to get plugged in so 240.4(D) rules.
I suppose someone can still put a plug adapter in a lamp and plug in the 1440W heater but we can't save everyone.

Greg Fretwell
L
The way I see it, you only increased the wire size for voltage drop across the run and the device isn't rated for more than 15 amps anyway, so you are absolutely going to put a 15 amp breaker in the panel.
What's the problem?
The #14 pigtail is good for the maximum the breaker will allow. no problem right?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard