ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#59449 12/06/05 02:00 PM
L
While I agree that there are some things that just aren't in our job description, the sad fact is that our trade is actually getting smaller as the years pass.
Materials are getting more "handyman" friendly. How often do we actually run R.M.C for an underground installation anymore?
P.V.C. and smurf tube have all but done away with the art of bending conduit for an underground installation.
Now, L.E.D.s are getting more and more efficient and will soon be used intead of flourescent and incandecent lighting.
Good for the low voltage guys I guess but, not for the electricians.
The way I see it, we need to get our hands on all the work we can before we all find ourselves looking for new careers.
How many of you have lost out on a bid to a "handyman" because "He does everything and you only do electrical so he must be better"?
Normally, I don't see too much of other trades trying to "steal" our work since I normally work in the auto plants under a collective bargaining agreement but, I noticed on the last big job I was on, that the elevator guys were running their own power, not just in the shaft as is common but, all the way from the sub which was 300 feet away.
Everytime I have ever done a kitchen remod., I have had to make sure that the customer knows the carpenter is not qualified to run romex and install high hats.
This trade is getting smaller through consumer ignorance and technical advancements and if we don't grab for what we can, we'll all be working at Mc Donalds which I guess is now considered a manufacturing job by the U.S. Government.

#59450 12/06/05 03:15 PM
L
LK Offline
Sixer,

This is a good topic, your not alone with the duct issue, i think all of us can relate to conflict with multi craft jobs, e57 has the right idea, get who does what in writing before the job starts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard