ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 402 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#57698 10/19/05 08:36 PM
Cat Servant
UL will stop listing them either when they stop passing UL tests, or the NEC stops allowing them.

Now is the time to make the proposal to the NFPA. You - or anyone- can make a proposal before Nov 4 through e-mail; see www.nfpa.org

Oddly enough, the 'back stab' receptacles seem to be rife with problems....but the similar design "Wago" connectors seem to work fine. I am not sure why that is. In any event, UL would be hard pressed to allow one and not the other.

#57699 10/19/05 09:42 PM
G
I suspect all backstab receptacles may not be created equal. It could be heat from a bad plug cap connection compromises the stab contact.

Greg Fretwell
#57700 10/19/05 11:17 PM
E
I have seen backstab outlets cause problems numerous times. However the only ones with a problem are the old ones with 12awg holes in them. The new ones, less than 10 years old, I've never seen a problem.

#57701 10/20/05 03:28 AM
...The new ones, less than 10 years old, I've never seen a problem...

... yet.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#57702 10/20/05 10:10 PM
S
Sorry to go against the grain here guys, but for residential, and we've done LOTS of residential over the past 15 years, all we've ever done is backstab. Such a time/labour saver! I can only think of two scenarious with backstab problems, one is when we tried the off-shore China receps (never again). And the only other time we have problems is when re-using a previously backstabbed plug. The connection just isn't solid enough the second time around.

Otherwise, never had a prob with backstabbing and will continue to use this method.

#57703 10/21/05 03:19 AM
M
Cool Sandro, and thanks. I appreciate the service calls.

#57704 10/21/05 07:35 AM
R
Confession time...

When I quit my industrial job to go out on my own, I was on the "screw terminal only" high horse. (Quote me... Although it is UL approved, "back-stabbing is a shortcut that I won't take")
It was fine for service & remodeling work, where I was only doing a few dozen devices. But when I began doing a small new development, by the 6th house, I realized that I couldn't compete with the other bidders unless I back-stabbed.

Well, because:

#1- My family needs food & shelter.
#2- Back-stabbing is a UL approved termination method.
#3- Thousands of homes have been built in my area over the past 20 years, and every RESIDENTIAL electrician that I ever spoke to "back-stabs".

Therefore, I often do it now, with a clear conscience.

#57705 10/21/05 08:27 AM
R
With the standard light load of most 15 amp general receptacle circuits in a dwelling, back stabbing is not a problem.

I have had service calls on all types of receptacles at one time or another, and in most cases it was evident the installer was the real problem, be it not tightening a screw, or not making sure the wire was inserted properly.

I must say a screw or pressure plate type installation is my preferred method, but I have back stabbed devices in my own home that have never given me any problems, and yes I installed them. [Linked Image]

Roger

#57706 10/21/05 08:51 AM
... Ok,..well,the general consensus here is that back-stabbing is acceptable,..guess I was barking up the wrong soapbox [Linked Image] [Linked Image]... Be it as it is,..my edict stands to my minions,... and it shall be heeded!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#57707 10/21/05 09:31 AM
M
There's a difference between "back stab" and "back wire". See Leviton's BR series as an example of the latter. Back wires are quicker to install that side wire but they also tend be a bit more expensive. I'm not sure that the increased productivity offsets the increased price. And since most customers look at price not quality of life for the electrician it's harder to be competitive on a bid.

While I understand that "back stab" is "acceptable" I'm inclined to believe that any electrician that uses that "feature" is, well, just lazy. Probably the best rationalization I've heard went something like, "If back stabing is so great why is there a ground SCREW?".

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard