ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
I agree with the grid wires being dangerous. I've only been poked in the eye by one once. When I get above a ceiling like that, the first thing I do is bend those wires over with my linesmans.
The lighting industry is famous for cheapness. There is a continuing battle between the engineering department and the bean counters. "Can't you use thinner metal? We can save 1 cent per fixture." "If I made it any thinner, I would be using tinfoil."
I've been to afactory and they have a team of Filipino women whose specialty is honing the edges of mud rings razor sharp. I think it is part of the NEMA standards that all boxes and fittings must have sharp corners and edges.
~Peter

Interesting stuff Joe,
I've always wondered what the "Standard Test Finger" looked like.
Oddly enough, I used to find the edges around the terminal acess cover on new electric stoves a real hazard here.
These are bare, galvanised sheet steel, formed, I believe with a stamping tool
What makes it worse is the fact you have to insert your hand inside the cover to manipulate the wires to get them into the terminals.
The chances of cutting your wrist is then very good, I know this for a fact.
I started wearing a Kevlar glove on my left hand after it happened to me.
Boy did it cut deep!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

D
Can lights have never been my friends... every night I came home from rigging cans, my wife would ask me how many new scars I had [Linked Image]

Changing razor-sharp planer blades is the worst job in my shop, I get at least one cut per change, usually on the worst place- the fingertips. Tried gloves- too clumsy.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
D
I don't have time to bleed.

Dnk......

L
Bleed ?? Blood ??? Never !!
My wife told me years ago that I have have ice water in my veins !!

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-05-2005).]

I more often seem to find sharp edges on new equipment than old.

I've had my share of cuts from troffer fixtures of course, but have been cut much more often by the cardboard while taking them out of the cartons [Linked Image]

U
I wear those blue-palmed gloves all day at work. I take them off for breaks or when handling lubed wire - that's about it.

The gypsum, concrete, and petroleum-coated metals, along with the flexing and abrasion from working hand-tools make my hands cracked, raw, and bleeding after only a couple of days working without gloves. (Psoriatic skin conditions aren't much fun [Linked Image] )

I've gotten used to handling screws and other fine tasks. There is a learning curve to this. Finishing work - no problem either (just put on a clean pair [Linked Image] ) I feel I'm more productive and safer on the job with gloves. You get a better grip on everything (nice when climbing) and you're less 'shy' about a particular action or motion when you're not worrying about that cut, scrape, or chafe you might incur.

IMO, there is still an attitude about gloves in this trade. Usually the older guys.. "Gotta work a little harder and maybe those girly hands will toughen up." [Linked Image] Ask for gloves and you get a stare back like you just asked for double-digit pay increase. "Didn't I give you pair of gloves 2 weeks ago?" "You're in the wrong line of work if you need to wear gloves fulltime."

I
electure

I've had my share of cuts from troffer fixtures of course, but have been cut much more often by the cardboard while taking them out of the cartons

Have you tried ordering troffers without boxes?

We will generally have them shipped on single width pallets, standing on end and shrink wrapped, pre-lamped of course.

By doing it this way we can pallet jack them through standard doors. You do need a narrow pallet jack which is also good for transformers. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Some of the larger EC's in the bay area require and supply the appropriate cloth, blue palm, or leather glove. Hand injuries are probably the most common recordable accident in construction. If you have employees, you need to keep your workers comp risk mod as low as possible, a safety program with supplied PPE can go a long way to lowering costs and to keep productive employees working. That includes safety glasses to help prevent that poke in the eye from those ceiling wires. Eyes, (and hands) come 2 per unit and are not considered consumables no matter who the owner is. The goal; Everyone goes home in in the condition they came to work in.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard