ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 418 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#49647 03/12/05 03:09 PM
L
LK Offline
Quote:
"if it does not exist in writing and has not been adopted into law, it is not an enforcable rule."

That's it
If it is a local rule, it will be in writing, ask for a copy of the rule.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 03-12-2005).]

#49648 03/12/05 04:00 PM
B
I love to argue with the "man"
it seems the "man" needs learnin on occasion.
I don't see some AHJs as beeing more code knowlegeable than I. But so fare as pissen the "man" off it probably not the best thing to do.
Ya alu is fine with the nec. But i'm from the west coast and know nothing of NY.

#49649 03/12/05 07:11 PM
N
If I think an inspector is wrong, the first thing I do is ask him/her to show my the written rule that he is faulting me for. If he cannot show you or refuses to do so talk to his boss. Inspectors have to follow the adopted code with any state/local admendments.
Like Scott said " I told you so" is not good enough.
Have found that most inspectors can and will show you the rule and are decent about it if approached the right way.
Time for the pissing contest if the inspector acts in an unprofessional way.
Have found few inspectors with ego problems and thier bosses usually do not like to have to deal with a problem inspector very long.
You can take the discussion as far as the state/local rules (appeals, boards, etc.) allow then into court if necessary.
You will have to decide if,when and how far to pursue any arguement. Some times it is just not worth the hassle and bad feelings.

ed
#49650 03/13/05 01:42 AM
M
If there is no local ammendment to prevent alum ser use, then go find an attorney who can send a letter to the inspector with his letterhead, that reminds the guy that he will need to prove his point in court unless he desists. That should do the trick.

#49651 03/13/05 06:09 PM
E
Better yet, if he is wrong, get it in writing and go ahead and install the copper, then send him the bill for the change. If he is enforcing rules above and beyond the code, then he is liable for the change order.

Earl
#49652 03/14/05 08:26 PM
H
Ask the inspector politely to give you the code reference that prohibits you from using the SER. Explain to him that you have researched the code and can't find it and as you want to stay within the code, you need a reference. If he can't give you one, continue with the installation. If he rejects you, he has to cite the portion of the code that prohibits you from using the SER. Just remember to keep it on a professional basis. If you back him into a corner, he's going to bite you!

#49653 03/14/05 09:15 PM
M
Hi,
The statement that if you live near the ocean and can not use Aluminum wiring is baseless and most of all RIDICULOUS! So lets see...ocean, no aluminum? WRONG. Certain types of aluminum are designed for use IN SALTWATER. I know of a plate of 1/4" 6061 aluminum that has been submerged in a vat of SALT water for over 40 years and is still shiny. I will look it up and post it here.

Lets not forget about Scott petersons boat that he used in san francisco bay to dump his wife and kid in...it was an ALUMINUM BOAT!

I guess there are no boats with aluminum mast or parts out there in lala land either?

Next we wont be able to use plastic because it could melt.

How many miles of Aluminum conduit do you suspect is installed at all of those refineries out there in CA? I myself have installed several THOUSAND FEET of it in KENAI ALASKA and other places. I know that a lot of Paper mills are going to PVC coated conduit but there is still a lot of aluminum conduit being used as well as ALUMINUM FLEX.

I guess there are no aluminum road signs or aluminum overhead lines near the ocean in CA either?

I could go on and on providing other examples but I think you get my drift..the moon is NOT MADE OF CHEESE either!

The reason an inspector or whomever is telling you that you can't use aluminum feeders is not educated and sounds dangerous.

First you have to go and specifically buy a ALL COPPER bus on any panel you may install and very few do not have ANY aluminum in them.

Second it is NOT the inspectors JOB to specify what materials you use unless he can produce a LAW that says you must use one part over another.

There are MILLIONS of Aluminum feeders and branch circuits in use today and some that have been in use for decades.

Aluminum is SAFE IF it is installed CORRECTLY.

This reminds me of another post on this site where someone was trying to convince us that OXYGEN was a HAZARDOUS FLAMMABLE gas and all equipment should ahve been explosion proof becasue of a oxygen tank!

Otherwise it would be in the code.

Let us know what happens.

regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 03-14-2005).]

#49654 03/14/05 09:26 PM
H
Do you have a Construction Board of Appeals? Here in NJ if you don't like what "the man" says, then you can challenge him in the Board of Appeals. You just might have to take some time from work to go there. Also in NJ if I fail you for a job, the STATE says, I have to quote you the exact code section, Chapter and Verse, or else I would lose my case if we go to court. Using AL for wiring is not against the NEC, might be a local code, but you can ask for a copy of it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard