ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 425 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#48888 02/27/05 01:17 AM
C
"I was wondering if I am accpeted and all that- when it comes time to start work do you have to do a classic interview with the union shop contractor(?) or do you just get a dispatch and show up and start working?"

The way it works at my hall is like this:
- You sign the book
- They read the jobs available and any special qualifications needed; ie: cable splicer; confined spaces; OSHA 30; CDL; etc.
- Then they start calling names in the order the book was signed.
- When you take a job (call), you goto the EC's trailer or whatever they are using as a "base" on the jobsite.
- You fill out the paper work (W4, etc).
- Then off you go...finding materials and tools to get the job done.

I'd like to help you on the test questions, but it's been 15-20 years since I got in...if you have a specific question, post it - you will get an answer.

One bit of advice...if your hall offers ANY classes...start taking them. Whatever additionial education you can get to keep yourself employed is worth the time sitting in class.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#48889 02/27/05 03:29 AM
O
celtic is "right on" in his post. every hall is a little different. i've worked directly out of some halls in the past, and others that basically will send you to an employer interveiw, usually with a letter of qualifications. i have devoted the past several years to specializing in motor controls and PLCs, and i havent missed a days work in all that time. once you get your feet wet, and get some basic experience under your belt, you might consider finding a "specialty" and get really good at it, through schooling or any other training that is offered. dont pass up any training, either through the union or through an employer. these other guys on this board will tell you that a basic conduit bender or wire puller employee is relatively easy to find, and the competition is fierce, to say the least. find your niche, get "expert" at it, and your qualifications will stand out, when the need for that specialty arises. again, good luck!

oldtimer

#48890 02/27/05 04:05 AM
S
Thanks for all the input! I'm really looking forward to seeing how I do. When I talked on the phone to set up the test the rep basically told me most of the types of questions(+examples) that would be on the test like tranformer connections, sizing motor circuits, cosecants, Ohm's law, open book-code ?'s, box/conduit fill-It almost felt like an informal quiz to see what I know.
Oldtimer I agree 100% with specializing after I get some years underneath my belt. I did networking/security/fiber stuff for a year when I hurt my back it was interesting but I didn't like sitting all of the time montioring the LAN-pretty boring! But it gave me expierience I might have never gotten otherwise-especially the fiber terminations, trouble shooting and the like. I'm not sure if I'd specalize in low-voltage stuff since it's really it's own trade-but it has come in handy. One thing I've learned is that whether your troubleshoooting a 12v system or a 480v system that basic electrical-Physical rules remain constant-now you just have to ask the right questions to solve the problem the quickest way.
*Thanks to everyone for your help!*

#48891 03/28/05 04:15 PM
S
Well I got a call recently informing me I passed the "inside wireman" exam, 10 guys took it when I did and only 2 of us passed. I want to thank everyone here who posted replies to my question I appreciate it!

Now I have to decide to sign book 1 and wait for work or just keep working non-union? Not sure. -Thanks again-

#48892 03/28/05 05:02 PM
C
If you passed the test(congrats)...continue doing what you are doing until you start paying..initiation, dues, etc. Once you have a card(union card) if you are "caught" working for a non-union contractor, you may be brought before the board to explain your actions. This is a hot topic when guys are out of work with little or no money coming in and bills piling up. Your union's by-laws explain this.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard