ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#46981 01/10/05 01:52 AM
L
LK Offline
Kentvw,

You brought up a good topic, and it should be open for comment, we all need to be open, and exchange ideas, that will enable us all to learn more, on any topic posting.
This topic concerns most of us doing residential installations, and all the information, we can gather on VDV cable installs, will be of help.
I would like to hear how some VDV cable problems were resolved, and how some do their VDV installations.

Thank you,
Les

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-10-2005).]

#46982 01/10/05 03:30 AM
E
e57 Offline
I too would like to apologize for helping to take this thread to the dark side.

And offer some explaination of the method I described and how it came about....

I have had to go and add to these boxes, and it can be a real hassle to add that fifth, sixth or more lines. Only 4 bridged lines, so the module is got to go, and cables too short. So I started replacing the module with a standard 110 block. And it worked so well, that when forced to put in a box, I put in a standard 110 block right off the bat. Just to save the hassle later. It has worked so well that I have made it part of the standard package. Just mount it with a self tapping screw right to the back of the cabinet, and 100 pair block takes up about the same amount of space.
http://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/products/S110_Wiring_Blocks.asp

Still prefer to stick it all on the wall of the garage for proper display. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-10-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#46983 01/10/05 12:28 PM
A
I was installing all my VDV on plywood and not using the enclosures. I had some customers who found out about the enclosures and wanted me to come back and install one.
They wanted to finish off the room and wanted everything hidden with a cover.
Now I let them know all their options ahead of time and let them make the final decision.
As far as cables being too short I like to leave about a 3ft. loop on all my cables. I leave this loop up in between the ceiling joists so that as more cable is needed I can pull some down from this loop.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard