ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, HotLine1), 421 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#41631 09/02/04 09:36 PM
J
jbfan Offline OP
OK Here goes the results! This tub is feed buy a 4 wire feed, 100amp subpanel, 50 amp gfci to tub, 2-20 amp gfcis for recpticles.

Breaker to tub on!
18v wster to concrete pad
16v water to earth around pad

Breaker to tub off!
Same voltage

Ground lug in sub panel to earth+ 12v.

Went iside to main panel and killed subpanel feed. Still 12v from ground lug to earth.
Removed panel cover and found seperate ground and neturals. no voltage between ground and netural. Went to meter base, killed house power. Still 12v to earth from ground lug. Netural and ground bonded inside meter base. Checked from ground wire to earth. 3v. Called poco. Lineman shows up, checks same things I did. Same results.
House is fed from underground. He went to xformer, removed feeds and rechecked everything. Voltage 0, Reconnect feed to house voltage returned. He tightened feeds and neturals. Said he had to turn this over to there engineer. Still have voltage in water. Other oputside recepticles read 3-4 volts to the earth.

Thats where I stand now, waiting on poco!
Keith

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
#41632 09/02/04 10:16 PM
P
Sounds like stray voltage.

1. disconnect the GEC from the cold water and the ground rod if there is a ground rod. now check the load side.

2. if the load side has no voltage, that means that the neighbor has a problem at their house. The neighbor that is connected to the same POCO transformer.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#41633 09/03/04 07:29 AM
E
e57 Offline
Facinating!

Does this tub or house have the Xformer feed or other Service lat's running though the property in some way? Maybe damage there water line and ground rod stuck in it? [Linked Image] Or may the lack of a water line and rod....

Still have a grounding and bonding issue though. The ground issue may belong to the POCO, and at this Service. But I would still definiatley bond the ground lug of the hot tub to that pad its on. Or any other conductive surface associated with getting in or out of it. (technically 5 feet around it)As so far this is the highest potential to earth on the system now, for whatever reason. Bust the pad to exose some rebar, and bond it to the the tub motor or ground lug.

680.26B,1 Metallic Structural Components. All metallic parts of the pool structure, including the reinforcing metal of the pool shell, coping stones, and deck, shall be bonded. The usual steel tie wires shall be considered suitable for bonding the reinforcing steel together, and welding or special clamping shall not be required. These tie wires shall be made tight. If reinforcing steel is effectively insulated by an encapsulating nonconductive compound at the time of manufacture and installation, it shall not be required to be bonded. Where reinforcing steel is encapsulated with a nonconductive compound, provisions shall be made for an alternate means to eliminate voltage gradients that would otherwise be provided by unencapsulated, bonded reinforcing steel.

Article 680 applies to decorative pools and fountains; swimming, wading, and wave pools; therapeutic tubs and tanks; hot tubs; spas; hydromassage bathtubs; and similar installations. The installations covered by this article can be indoors or outdoors, permanent or storable, and may or may not be directly supplied by electrical circuits of any nature.
Studies conducted by Underwriters Laboratories, various manufacturers, and others indicate that a person in a swimming pool can receive a severe electric shock by reaching over and touching the energized casing of a faulty appliance — such as a radio or a hair dryer — as the person's body establishes a conductive path through the water to earth. Also, a person not in contact with a faulty appliance or any grounded object can receive an electric shock and be rendered immobile by a potential gradient in the water itself. Accordingly, the requirements of Article 680 covering effective bonding and grounding, installation of receptacles and luminaires, use of ground-fault circuit interrupters, modified wiring methods, and so on, apply not only to the installation of the pool but also to installations and equipment adjacent to or associated with the pool.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-03-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard