ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
DougW Offline OP
Well, I'm actually in North Chicago - a little town by the Great Lakes Naval Base - just south of Waukegan. "Big" Chicago is about 28 miles south.

Given some serious thought to "hardening" my topper (I drive a pickup truck w/ a fiberglass "camper" style top - 2 slider windows on the sides, and a see-through window in the back over the tailgate)

1) build a plywood deck just higher off the truck bed than the average Milwaukee box is tall. This will allow me to secure tools & supplies under the decking, invisible to "wandering eyes" - it also allows me to be able to tote sheet goods without dumping everything out of the bed. This will stay in place if/when I get a "contractor" cap for that reason.

2) Bolt a piece of B-24 C-Strut to the bottom of the lift door of the topper - with the open side towards the frame, with small cutouts to allow access to the lock/handle. This will keep the aluminum from being "flexed" out of position, which facilitates popping the lock rods out of position... which is how Schmucko got in.

3) Get some expanded metal lathing cut to size(we have an iron/steel works that the FD is on pretty good terms with in town), and use hi-tensile round/carriage head machine bolts and panel washers to secure it over the rear and side windows. It won't be very quiet at highway speeds, but at least my stuff should still be there.

4) Radio Shack has a "portable" alarm for cars that hangs inside the engine compartment and clips to the battery - it even has a keychain remote! I figure I'd hard mount it to the lift gate, and run some SJO (or similar) from the battery back to the alarm in the bed - at least this way if somebody f*s with the rear gate, they'll get an earache.

5) Install a lock in the tailgate handle, or else mount a gate latch inside the tailgate, so you have to access the inside before dropping the gate.

Anybody got a Knapheide or Reading topper for sale? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-12-2004).]

E
Doug,
I was working in Chicago by the united center, and someone in broad daylight smashed my window (with neighbor workers watching) to try to unlock my van doors. I caught the guy breaking my window and he slowly walked to a waiting car and slowly drove away while I was calling the cops. Luckly they got nothing. I have insurance on every tool I own, but the next day, I got an alarm installed with electronic deadbolts. $1200 bucks later, I have the security and peice of mind. The only way to unlock the dead bolts is with the remote. Even if they break a window, they cant get to my tools or supplies. The bulk head prevents them from getting to the back, and the unlock buttons do nothing. The remote start on the van is wonderful on the cold days also.

T
DougW:

Sorry to hear about the problems there. Cars windows get smashed here in Passaic, NJ, on occasion. Somebody once tried to steal my car right out of my driveway. I had to use pliers to twist the ignition back into place to get my key to fit again.

Once there was a problem with gas siphoning in my parents' old neighborhood in Philadelphia (this was probably in the 1960s or '70s). My father owned a German shepherd. He left one of the car doors open enough that the dog could get out if needed. The dog was in the car overnight. Dad heard barking and the dog took off. She returned shortly after, with some blood on her teeth and a piece of fabric in her mouth.

Wonder of wonders, the gas siphoning stopped after that [Linked Image]

Of course, these days, there would be a lawsuit, etc.

... Isn't there a way to get juice from the ignition coil,and rig it up to the door handles?? maybe somehow insulate the door handles from the chassis, therefore,when the unwitting dirt-bag,son-of-a sewer rat goes and fools with the door,he/she(ya never know these days) will get a big surprise.... I may be on to somethin'...
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
S
Yeah, I'm thinking a huge capacitor (or bank of capacitors_ that charges from a storage battery or two....so when the person touches it, they get knocked on their keister. Not enough to kill them...but enough to go "What the >?< "

Probably another lawsuit waiting to happen. [Linked Image]

It's an idea I had since I was a little kid.

F
Did anybody see the tv show "overhauled" (I think that is the name)last night? They picked up some kids truck and did a seven day drastic custom job on it.

Along with all the custom work they did to it they also installed a custom full legenth bed drawer on it. That would be the way to go. You could transfer the unit to the next new vehicle you own.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 04-14-2004).]

D
DougW Offline OP
Looked at those. Knaack makes one, but they're not cheap - neighborhood of $1200 for a full size one - not including the plywood for decking.

They do extend full length out from the bed.

Ahh, for a few winning numbers!

D
DougW Offline OP
Well, as luck would have it, I was offered the chance to scrounge throught a friend's parent's basement for tools and 'lectrical stuff (pics coming!) to make up for my recent theft.

Scored MAJOR toolage... a bunch of hand tools, nut drivers, a full 3/8" & 1/2" socket set, extra wrenches, more KO punches, and a bunch of plumbing and electrical fittings. Between my "extras" I had in my shop and these, I should be back up to speed pretty quick.

Thanks to everyone for their support. Having sympathetic ears was nice!

And got some good ideas for securing my stuff! [Linked Image]

D
DougW Offline OP
UPDATE:
I'd gotten a phone call about a week ago from an acquaintance, telling me that someone was selling tools with my name on them. Went to the police, but got "lost in the shuffle".

About a dozen garages get broken into between the phone call, and tonight.

Tonight?

They found the @#$&^% - caught red-handed leaving a garage with tools! Long criminal record - hopefully it'll get longer in an instituional setting.

No word on my stuff yet, but at least this dirtbag won't mess with anybody else's livelihoods.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-25-2004).]

WOOHOOO!!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Great News Doug! Glad to hear this piece of $#!+ is off the streets!!! [Linked Image] Hopefully you get a large percentage of your stuff back!

-Randy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard