ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#35269 03/07/04 03:14 PM
N
ADSL lines are generally twisted pairs, which reduces radiation immensely. AFAIK, ADSL operates at lower frequencies and lower power levels than BPL, which also works to reduce interference potential.

The amateur bands are located where they are as a result of international treaties. It would literally take more than an "Act of Congress" to reallocate them. Domestic television and cell phones don't span the globe, and are primarily regulated at a national, not international level.

There are many digital modes employed in amateur radio. But mandating a shift to digital technologies here would eliminate much of the ability for hams to get on the air quickly in emergencies using low cost or even homebrew equipment. It would also price ham radio out of the reach of most youngsters. We would lose a lot when you could no longer communicate with a simple oscillator and crystal detector.

Besides, hams were here first! [Linked Image]

#35270 03/07/04 03:44 PM
I
C-H your post hit on something I was thinking.

What I don't understand is why special consideration should be given to radio amateurs?

First I have nothing against Ham operators, I know we have a few here at this forum and I certainly wish none of them ill will.

That said the few times I have read posts from ham operators the general feeling I come away with is that they "own" that part of the radio spectrum and anyone that might infringe on that is clearly in the wrong.

NJs posts just reinforce my view especially comments like this.

Besides, hams were here first!

Now I know you said that with a smile but that is essentially the party's line. [Linked Image]

What makes hobby radio any more or less important then the Internet, phones, TV, etc.

The one I do see is radio astronomy as CH pointed out you can't get them to change channels. [Linked Image]

C-H I see the same things you do, it seems PCs can be very tolerant of poor power quality.

I worked at one place that had a 400 amp 480 volt unshielded DC motor drive that cycled from 0 to 350 amps every 20-30 seconds.

A PC was located right near this each cycle the screen did strange things but the PC never seemed to mind.

Ham operators, do not kill me, just an outsiders opinion, the kind of person you would have to convince to support you. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#35271 03/07/04 04:15 PM
N
Hams aren't getting (or asking for) any "special consideration". Only enforcement of what is spelled out in the FCCs OWN REGULATIONS. BPL systems are Part 15 "incidental radiators". As such they are NOT ALLOWED to cause interference to ANY licensed users of the spectrum. This includes SW broadcasters, public service comms, and amateur radio. They also must ACCEPT any interference they receive from licensed sources. In short, if a ham or CB station wipes out the entire BPL system, there isn't a THING that the BPL provider can legally do about it!

When BPL manufacturers were unable to meet the RF emission limits of Part 15, they started pushing to raise the acceptable limits!

"Hobby Radio", as you call it, is more important than yet another internet service, cellphone service, etc. simply because amateur radio is among the LAST bastions of non-commercial "public access" to the spectrum. Most of the rest has already been sold off or given away! Amateur radio provides an invaluable emergency communications system, which, unlike internet, cellphones, etc., is independent of centralized infrastructure. When hurricanes or other disasters hit, ham radio is still there, when cell towers and power lines are down for the count!

#35272 03/07/04 04:44 PM
I
Sorry but that does not dispel the idea you want special treatment. [Linked Image]

Cell phones are proving to be quite a reliable resource in times of trouble.

Cell phones by their design are not centralized.

But do not get me wrong I do think Ham radio is another good source of communication, I just do not see what gives it "special" status.

In short, if a ham or CB station wipes out the entire BPL system, there isn't a THING that the BPL provider can legally do about it!

What is not special about that?

I am not saying it is not an existing rule, just maybe it is time to reexamine that special treatment.

I just don't get it.

Just the opinion of a non ham operator, the kind of person you will need support from if you want things to remain unchanging.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#35273 03/07/04 05:21 PM
N
Cell phones are proving to be quite a reliable resource in times of trouble.

Tell that to anyone who tried to use one in NYC on 9/11/01. A cell phone might be reliable for "individual scale" emergencies like a breakdown or reporting an accident, but when the excrement hits the impeller big time, cell phones aren't very reliable at all. The system is subject to overload even more than landline phones are...

Cell phones by their design are not centralized.

All phones in a given area talk back to a central tower or "cell site". Take out that site, and all the phones in the area stop working. Same goes for the landline trunk cable feeding that site, or the telco central office at the other end. "Backhoe fade" kills cellphones too!

quote:In short, if a ham or CB station wipes out the entire BPL system, there isn't a THING that the BPL provider can legally do about it!

What is not special about that?

I am not saying it is not an existing rule, just maybe it is time to reexamine that special treatment.

It is not "special treatment" of amateur radio. It is "special treatment" of UNLICENSED SERVICES that share our spectrum. Amateur radio is treated no differently than ANY OTHER LICENSED SERVICE. The same interference restrictions apply to broadcast stations, paging, mobile radio, or any other LICENSED user of the spectrum. BPL operates under part 15, and has to abide by those rules. Amateur radio is under part 97. Different rules apply.

If you want to protect unintentional radiators on the same basis as licensed services, get ready to pay a heck of a lot more for your garage door openers, WiFi equipment, and other wireless equipment. Each of these would have to have exclusive, assigned spectrum space, with no other users. There are only so many megahertz to go around! [Linked Image]

You will need to have a license for that equipment, too. If your neighbor bought one first, tough luck!

#35274 03/07/04 05:33 PM
I
Good enough I think we each made our point.

Mine was only trying to show what some outsiders think.

You gave the standard line as expected. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#35275 03/07/04 10:19 PM
R
Back to the internet & a/c lines, I have had a discussion with the manager of the utility of Manassas, Virginia. they have installed this on their system, and have good reports. I will post a link tomorrow when I get back to office.

The way I understand it, it uses a fiber optic backbone, with some kind of transmitter located in the transformer, which is feeding the home, and then another unit that plugs into an outlet in the home. To this unit you plug in your computer (modem?).

Later.

#35276 03/07/04 10:36 PM
N
More on the Manassas BPL rollout:
http://www.eham.net/articles/6803

#35277 03/07/04 11:21 PM
S
As a ham myself, I am extremely concerned about BPL and the potential interference problems lurking. The listening aspect of shortwave (and longwave too) is, in my opinion, 90% of the fun. I do not like the thought at all of additional interference in the "basement" part of the spectrum, it's rotten enough as it is. We hams have suffered long enough from interference on our assigned bands too.

Assuming these problems were actually overcome, I wonder: is polyphase BPL faster? [Linked Image]

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
#35278 03/08/04 12:42 AM
H
...it is more frustration with what I (and many others) see as the FCC abdicating it's mission

Yup. Several months ago I took the same position as NJwirenut regarding RFI when the question of BPL was first came up here on this board. Apparently nobody cares so I didn't mention it above. Seems the FCC is more interested in big business interests than their mission.

I agree 100%. This is a stupid idea that never should have seen the light of day.

-Hal

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard