ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#34382 02/11/04 02:08 PM
S
Ok, it's me again... Good thing I don't have much work this week. It gives me time to figure these generators out, just in case someone calls and wants one hooked up [Linked Image]
I appreciate Roger's link, but that gives me some more questions.
Say I got a 200 amp. single phase service; feeds out of the back of the meter into a 200 amp. 42 circuit panel. I want to come out of this panel and set a generator transfer switch, with circuits that can be switched on during power outage. The generator to be used is a portable generator that has a bonded neutral, therefore requiring the neutral to be switched. I am wanting to use a 16 circuit Square D panel and use one of the Square D "interlock" devices for the "utility" and "generator" main. I come out of the main panel with 2 --100 amp. phase conductors, 1 neutral, and 1 equipment ground, all sized per code. I separate my neutral from the equipment ground, since it is a "sub-panel". NOW [Linked Image] at this point, do I feed off of the generator main breaker out of my sub panel with the interlock, to a 3 pole disconnect

(1 for each "phase" conductor, and 1 for the "neutral" conductor, carrying with me the equipment ground, bonded to the 3 pole disconnect, but isolated from the neutral)

Then off the "load side" of the disconnect, set a box with a "4 wire" male plug (male because the power will be coming from the generator side)
Then from this point, of course, will be the 4 wire cord to the "bonded neurtral generator". Does this sound like an acceptable way to do this, provided that the amperage ratings of disconnect, plug, etc.... are met?

Still in the "sub-panel" the neutral and equipment ground are still bonded [Linked Image] But at some point they will be bonded anyway, right...? Thanks again... Steve....getting closer [Linked Image]

#34383 02/11/04 07:59 PM
R
Redsy, it would be a long shot meaning there would have to be some coincidences take place, hence the reason I said possibility. (which I misspelled)

It could be a fault through the bond jumper backfeeding the neutral (unswitched) to do this.

The fault couldn't be enough to open the "portable" generators breaker, or there would have to be a problem not allowing the breaker to open.

Even then, one of the normal ungrounded conductors on the secondary winding would have to be grounded (a tree maybe) to provide a potential difference from the backfed neutral to the end of the winding.

I did say possibility. [Linked Image]

Roger

#34384 02/12/04 01:15 PM
S
Also as a continuation of my question about coming out of an existing panel, how about if on a new installation, you have a 200 amp meter base outside. Can I come out of the side of the 200 amp. meter base, and set a 200 amp double throw transfer switch, then come out of the bottom and set a 30 amp. or 50 amp. twist lock receptacle for the generator? The neutral and ground will have to be bonded for the household main electrical panel, but if the portable generator to be used has a bonded neutral, then the neutral at the double throw switch will need to be isolated [Linked Image]

Or would I come out of the meter base,then set a 200 amp.Main breaker disconnect, then feed the double throw transfer switch [Linked Image] Then the neutral and ground would be separated in the transfer switch, because I would have to run a 4 wire feed to my inside panel, because it would then be a sub-panel?? Since the 30 amp. generator receptacle under the transfer switch would be fed from the generator side, then the 30 amp wire off the load side of the 200 amp. transfer switch wouldn't have to be fused [Linked Image] The transfer switch I'm referring to, I assume, would just be "knife blade" non-fusible. I'm just trying to get all the scenario's straight, so I'll know what to do, if I need to do it for a customer.... I thought I knew the code and wiring pretty good, til I got into this portable generator wiring [Linked Image] Thanks again, Steve
ps. The only problem I see with the above,
(of course there may be more),is trying to get the 30 amp. wire to tighten up, under the 200 amp. lugs on the transfer switch.
This don't sound exactly right... someway..
So I would appreciate your input [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard