ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2707 07/24/01 04:10 AM
S
Is the elephant for hire?
[Linked Image]

#2708 07/24/01 07:12 AM
I see, so a Best Boy is the Gaffer's helper...

I'll get all this straight by the time I'm on my deathbed...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#2709 07/24/01 10:49 PM
If anything, I would have been the Worst Boy Gaffer, I was usually that*%^$Electrician.
I had a couple of helpers, could have p o s s i b l y been a Journeyman(but considered myself as one, of course).
It really was wonderful. That elephant broke loose an aluminum burnout that 2 service trucks and a skiploader couldn't. (Real 4 wheel drive). Put 120V to flashbulbs in big pans of black powder. What fun!
Returning guaranteed vandal resistant fixtures...from the Bear Cages!
Really worked my a** off.

#2710 07/25/01 12:14 AM
Wow! What a great story!

Being just up the road from the legend of John Henry in Talcott, WV, I can really appreciate stories where muscle out-performs machine.

Any more cool stuff like that?

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#2711 07/25/01 12:53 AM
G
Sparky66,
If the elephant handler had been traveling with circuses, using the elephant for "manual" labor would have been nothing new. For set up and tear down of tents the elephants used to be used as work animals. I don't know if that is SPCA legal nowadays. Like you, I like to see animals do useful work if they are not abused. Like cow dogs, cutting horses and sheep dogs. The only useful work I can think of for a cat is mousing and that is no fun to watch. Sorry for continuing so far off the thread topic.

All my jobs looked good. None were much more profitable than normal or ran much better or worse than normal. I did sell $500 worth of scrap copper on a $2000 service change once. A high school was removing the pole lights at a ballfield they never used at night. The building that served as storage and concession needed a new 200 amp service because it was fed from a sub panel from one of the two 400 amp single phase 240 volt fused disconnects that fed the lights. A crane company laid the poles with the disconnects and service risers on the ground. The people getting the poles removed the disconnects and conduit from the poles. The service conduit, conductors and disconnects were still all together. I took my 11.5 hp concrete cutting saw and cut the 70 feet long conduits, copper and all, in 6 ft pieces, pulled the wire out, stripped it (1000 kcmil and old easy to strip rubber insulation)and went straight to the scrap yard. I still have the 400 amp single phase disconnects.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard