ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#25289 05/05/03 11:54 AM
R
Shapiro's book suggests the use of high temperature sleeving in applications where the insulation does not meet the current temperature requirements. I have used it as a last resort. You may want to try it. I'm not sure if is acceptable to local authorities. It is available from at McMaster-Carr.

#25290 05/05/03 12:08 PM
S
I had to use heat-shrink tubing on the crumbling BX when I was replacing the dodgy wall switch in the bathroom in my new apartment two years ago.

A simple 10 minute excersise turned into a "run to Radio Shack on a late Sunday afternoon for a pack of heatshrink" and PRAY that the insulation didn't continue crumbling up into the BX's armor!!

Oh...did I also mention that the rotten box had broken off the stud and was hanging inside the wall? The device cover is the only thing holding the entire thing in place against the wall!!!!

The luminaire in the bedroom is just a rubber pigtail socket because I heard the tell-tale "crunch" when I pulled down the old 60-watt fixture (with two 100-watt bulbs) and dug out the CHARRED fiberglass insulation that had been shoved up into the box!

I didn't move the insulation much so I none of the insulation crumbled.

Bathroom and bedroom lights and one outlet in bedroom are on the same 15 amp circuit....of course this is a 1950s apartment building.

My guess is the circuit was overfused at one point...because the wall socket in the bedroom on that same circuit also had the cruncy insulation (heatshrink on that one too). Thank god for circuit breakers!!!

When I saw some of the scrapped fuse-holders from the other apartments in the garbage the day the electricians put in the breakers, I saw 30 and 20 amp Edison fuses in these things. [Linked Image]

I'll be tearing this stuff out in the very near future...

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-05-2003).]

#25291 05/05/03 06:34 PM
B
I’ll second the sil-rubber sleeving for covering cooked rubber or PVC wire insulation. Overlamped incandescent ceiling fixtures can be a mess to fix. {A few decades ago little old ladies with long hours in the kitchen led to 200-watt lamps for dimming eyesight.} Try a motor shop for this stuff. A slang term for the stuff is sil-ex tubing. Get several sizes if you have to wing it. Ten feet of it shouldn’t bankrupt anyone. With a little work it’s not too hard to “milk it” onto a wire past the loom clamp.

One common style is http://www.eis-inc.com/oem/catalog/pdfs/sleeving/Bentley.pdf ”Ben-Har 1151-FR sleeving is an extremely flexible silicone-rubber-coated fiberglass sleeving…”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard