ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 421 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
CYA??????

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
N
Yes is is good to CYA ( cover your a**). The biggest problem is when you do this too much you loose the bid to a low ball artist.

ed
R
John:
Your right . I've read the beging of Article 700, and found out thats the one thing it doesn't say.
EM lighting is not a NEC requirement.
But I have to conclude,if emergency lighting is required by some authority, then it would be required in all areas of a building, not just the biggest portions.

My point with the first reply was that you have to be able to see with some minimal amount of light everywhere for purposes of exiting, when EM lighting is required.

Russ
PS I check with our fire chief to see what he says.

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 04-28-2003).]

R
Ron Offline
I was not able to find restrooms in the listings of areas requiring egress or emergency lighting.

NFPA 101
7.8 Illumination of Means of Egress.
7.8.1 General.
7.8.1.1* Illumination of means of egress shall be provided in accordance with Section 7.8 for every building and structure where required in Chapter 11 through Chapter 42. For the purposes of this requirement, exit access shall include only designated stairs, aisles, corridors, ramps, escalators, and passageways leading to an exit. For the purposes of this requirement, exit discharge shall include only designated stairs, aisles, corridors, ramps, escalators, walkways, and exit passageways leading to a public way.

7.9 Emergency Lighting.
7.9.1 General.
7.9.1.1* Emergency lighting facilities for means of egress shall be provided in accordance with Section 7.9 for the following:
(1) Buildings or structures where required in Chapter 11 through Chapter 42
(2) Underground and limited access structures as addressed in Section 11.7
(3) High-rise buildings as required by other sections of this Code
(4) Doors equipped with delayed-egress locks
(5) Stair shaft and vestibule of smokeproof enclosures, for which the following also apply:
(a) The stair shaft and vestibule shall be permitted to include a standby generator that is installed for the smokeproof enclosure mechanical ventilation equipment.
(b) The standby generator shall be permitted to be used for the stair shaft and vestibule emergency lighting power supply.
7.9.1.2 For the purposes of 7.9.1.1, exit access shall include only designated stairs, aisles, corridors, ramps, escalators, and passageways leading to an exit. For the purposes of 7.9.1.1, exit discharge shall include only designated stairs, ramps, aisles, walkways, and escalators leading to a public way.

Ron
Russ:
Ron said most or all of it above.
Basically, the "approved" egress path must have exit signs (w/back-up illumination) and emergency lighting. That is usually what is required. That is usually why there is not a required exit unit in every office room of a office building.

Thanks to Ron for the above text, I have to copy it.

(edited)
Food for thought: some jurisdictions (California) are requiring a "master/slave" exit unit. THe master being over the door, and the slave being mounted close to the floor. This provides directional guidance in a smoke condition. There also is a illuminated "guide rail" set-up, like a glow stick thing (may be fiber optic) that is mounted low to guide you as you are crawling.

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 04-29-2003).]

John
R
Ron Offline
Keep in mind that marking of the exit (exit signs) is in addition to the articles quoted in my previous post.

Ron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard