ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 403 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#23078 03/12/03 01:30 AM
N
I have been carrying an IDEAL solenoid type tester for 13 years in my tool bag and it still works great. Unusual reliability these days.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 03-12-2003).]

#23079 03/12/03 11:21 AM
J
JBD Offline
"Wiggy" is a registered brand name of Square D. This solenoid style voltage tester was originally made by a company called Wiggington. Klein tools resells this Square D tester.

Solenoid type testers have much lower impedance than electronic and neon style devices. One advantage of this tester is the ability to not indicate voltages caused by leakage currents and capacitive coupling currents (these are some causes of digital meters indicating voltage even if they are just "laying on the table"). A disadvantage of these testers is, the low impedance causes high inrush and "chattering" currents which can be damaging to electronic switching devices.

#23080 03/13/03 02:22 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks, guys for all of your input.
It helped heaps!.
Paul, I was wondering if a Wiggy, was the same sort of thing as a Wedgie, but in a different dialect.
JBD, Solenoid Type Testers, prevent "Ghost-Voltages", caused by induced voltages in cables.
My Duspol, draws 240mA, very handy for testing RCD's too, only on Trip though! [Linked Image]

#23081 03/13/03 09:41 AM
T
OOoops!

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-13-2003).]

Donnie
#23082 03/13/03 11:09 AM
G
GEO Offline
remember you do put a load on what you are testing , and it does blow fractional fuse
sometime, learned it the hard way. GEO

#23083 03/14/03 10:37 PM
Broom Pusher and
What I like about the Wiggy:

<OL TYPE=A>

[*]Rugged as heck! (dropped mine about 100 times and it still works great!),

[*]Great for testing and tripping GFCIs!,

[*]Great for working on an Ungrounded Delta (the initial Capacitance can be seen as a quick pulse, but then decays away to nothing),

[*]Great for quick checks to verify blown fuses or bad breakers,

[*]Very helpful when troubleshooting an open noodle situation,

[*]Visual and Audible response to live circuits (also can feel the vibrating solenoid).
</OL>

As with Nick, have had my Ideal "Vol-Con" Wiggy for eons! Got it back in the early 1980's when the "Vol-Con" line was new.

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#23084 03/15/03 08:08 AM
I
Scott35

I am with you after a while you can tell the voltage by how it jumps in your hand.

My set is rated at 600V and I have used them up to 550V (buck boosts for a foreign motor) at 550V they nearly jump out of your hand.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#23085 03/15/03 08:45 PM
S
I am in the same boat as the other IDEAL people here... the Vol-Con tester is an excellent tool. Up here in Canada, it is common for commercial and industrial 600V applications.

The Vol-Con is extremely reliable, can be dropped (an Ideal rep, to demonstrate its durability and reliability, threw it 20 feet in the air and let it drop on concrete, then took the thing and smacked it a few times against the wall, and it still worked as good as new!) and the built in continuity tester is great for testing bad fuses and stuff.

Well worth every penny spent on this tool.

The tester we use is the 61-076 under the 'Solenoid Voltage Tester' heading.

Here is the link.... http://www.testersandmeters.com/tm/ElectricalTesters.nsf/ElectricalTesters?OpenFrameSet

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 03-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 03-15-2003).]

#23086 03/16/03 10:59 PM
S
I like the continuity tester of the Ideal Vol-Con. But nothing is rugged as the old Wiggy- made by Wgginton. If you are careful you can tell the voltage drop in a coil with the old style wiggy. I've checked a million-it seems that many- Allen Bradley coils in my days as industrial electrican with Reynolds Metals.

#23087 03/16/03 11:23 PM
W
I have watched this thread and I just wanted to put my two cents in too.

In my opinion, I do not think the wiggy (or any solenoid type device) is a safe tool to use. Yes, I used to use a Wiggy up to about eight years ago. I finally dropped one too many times. I put off buying one. Instead I got used to my volt/ohm meter. After blowing two models because I forgot to change the setting/function, I discovered a Fluke auto everything meter. Paid about $70. Still have it and use it as my main piece of test equipment.
Coincidentally about six years ago, an electrician entered a high voltage / low voltage area of a plant to check for voltage on a service call. Armed with his faithful Wiggy, he landed on probe to ground and the other lead holstered in the meter, landed it with his left hand on high voltage......... The solenoid shot out of that thing..... He never knew what pierced his chest. It all happened too quick.

Since that day I have been glad of my good fortune each time I had previously used my Wiggy.

Sorry, I did not mean to cast a bad light on Wiggy's or the alike. I just felt compelled to share the story of an unfortunate local electrician.

Dave

Dave
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard