ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

AE-Gifts, Affordable Everyday

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 367 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223011 09/28/26 03:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,055
Likes: 40
G
Member
This just started on a 3 year old motor. It trips GFCI on start up. I hooked it to a non GFCI and it works OK. I pup my clamp on it and there is a short 200ma spike right when it starts. I know the short answer is the motor is bad, get a new one but does anyone have any other ideas?

This is a boat lift so running without GFCI protection is a "you bet your life" thing.

https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Lift%20Motor%20GFCI%20Trip.wmv


Greg Fretwell
Tools for Electricians:

Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 43
L
Member
Maybe replace the start capacitor?

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 43
L
Member
Although tripping the GFCI is not the most common effect of a capacitor fault, and your motor does work without GFCI, there are still some defects that can make a capacitor trip the GFCI (assumes you've ruled out the most common culprits for the problem).

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,055
Likes: 40
G
Member
I plan on working on this when it stops raining. I hope it is just water in the motor. I will also look at the capacitor.
My first plan is to just take the belt off and run the motor until it warms up and see if that doesn't just dry it out.


Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5