ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 361 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
Since my last foray outside the4 USA, cordless tools have really made their mark.

Here the primary brands are (A-Z) DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee. Less common are Bosch and Ryobi. Store brands include Rigid (Home Depot), Hercules (Harbor Freight), and Kobalt (Lowes). Specialty makers include Greenlee, Thomas & Betts, and Hilti. Each of these firms uses removable, rechargeable batteries of their own design. That’s is, each brand requires its own charger.

Yet the USA uses an electrical supply different from almost everywhere else. So my question is: How easy is it to purchase chargers (alone) in your country, so I can bring my batteries along?

(Canada is a special case, what with their volts being only 73% of US volts, as I understand things )

G
A lot of these chargers will have a wide mouth supply that will eat anything from 100 to 250v 50 or 60 hz. You just need a plug adapter. The answer is on the name plate rating.

Greg Fretwell
1 member likes this: tortuga
W
Canada certainly does not use 87.6 volts (73% of 120). As I understand it they use 120v, same as the US. The voltage for industrial lighting though is different to the US.

Last edited by winston_1; 03/10/24 03:37 PM.
1 member likes this: RODALCO
G
Originally Posted by winston_1
Canada certainly does not use 87.6 volts (73% of 120). As I understand it they use 120v, same as the US. The voltage for industrial lighting though is different to the US.

That may have been a joke, referring to the Canadian Dollar.
I think we all know Canada uses the CEC that is very close to the (US) NEC.
I know you folks back in the old country do things completely different. (50 HZ, 230v with different wire colors and ring circuits).

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Yes, that was a joke. I figured that if the Canadian dollar has a lesser value than the American dollar, it followed that the Canadian volt was smaller than it’s American counterpart.

1 member likes this: tortuga

Link Copied to Clipboard