ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
uk electrical trainee to usa quals
by Trumpy - 03/29/20 08:30 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by gfretwell - 03/29/20 12:26 AM
Pole climbing in Norway
by Trumpy - 03/28/20 11:43 PM
Where is Everyone?
by Trumpy - 03/28/20 10:46 PM
Do you count seconds?
by HotLine1 - 03/26/20 11:36 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Scott35), 2 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ground fault remover :-) #220448 01/16/20 04:35 AM
D
dsk Offline OP
Some years ago I got this adapter. Countries with Schuco standard outlets has this to prvent ungrounded devices to be plugged in where grounding is imprtant, as in bathrooms etc. The scaring thing is that someone suggests to plug in that one on the washing machine cord to prevent the GFCI to trip. cool

Attached Files gfci repair.jpg
Last edited by dsk; 01/16/20 04:40 AM.
Test Equipment:
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Re: Ground fault remover :-) [Re: dsk] #220570 Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Trumpy Offline
dsk,
That device almost looks like one of them cheap travel adapters that you can buy from the usual suspects on the Internet.

One thing I really hate about using anything like this, is that they are usually a compromise in not only mechanical strength, but also the connections inside these devices are often not made with the same current-carrying capacity and end up with a sloppy connection at best, which will eventually cause a fire safety hazard.

In my opinion, any sort of adapters should be banned, the world over.
If you don't have the correct socket-outlet or the correct plug, ask yourself why niether of them are present and make the required changes.

Re: Ground fault remover :-) [Re: dsk] #220573 21 hours ago
D
dsk Offline OP
You are absolutely right in all hences. I got one, and heard the story, so I have tested it on gfci circuit, It does just disconnect the ground wire, and I am not i presses by anything. Here in Norway we use scuko otlets, and old ungrounded plugs do not fit. I live in an "older" house (1989) and rooms without water does only have the old outlets. Usually no problem. So this was just for testing, and for the confirmation to ay No! to a persen wanting to use this on a washing machine.

Last edited by dsk; 20 hours ago. Reason: Spelling
Re: Ground fault remover :-) [Re: Trumpy] #220574 20 hours ago
G
gfretwell Offline
Good thing I didn't feel that way when we went to New Zealand. I had a NZ adapter to a NEMA 5-15 and a plug strip. It was how we survived. I only took things with us that had wide mouth power supplies (PCs USB chargers etc) and everything worked fine. I doubt my total connected load was ever over an amp or two tho. I am not sure I wanted to buy all that stuff for a 3 week trip. A 5 buck adapter was all I needed.

Greg Fretwell

Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
dougwells
dougwells