ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
I don't like saying I'm too busy because it might come back to bite me in the ass. A lot of times I try to address the issues head on or price myself out of the job.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Wiresmith:

Your list of 'excuses' above are not something that I would ever say to any clients, back when I ran my business.

Jobs that look like 'problems' require talented approach, and there are no problems that cannot be surmounted, albeit the costs may be high. Explaining the scope of proposed work, and what is required for compliance with Code, and cosmetically is all part of the 'Proposal' stage of all jobs.

As to a concern over payments, spell all payments due within your contract/proposal documents. If you 'feel' that $$$$ looks like an issue, I did what Greg said.....RUN.

My approach of details and dollars, along with the suggestion to unknown clients to 'get at least three (3) estimates/proposals solved the problems of those that appeared 'shaky'.

And, yes, no matter how hard we try, I believe all of us have been 'burned' somewhat over the years.

John
W
thanks john,

the issue i have with just running from jobs with fear of non-payment is i see it as a little unprofessional, i'm considering your suggestion, but i'm still looking for a solution where i can be upfront about the issue

G
If you are not being paid you are not a professional, you are a hobbyist wink

Greg Fretwell
wiresmith:

OK, do you have a business plan?
Do you write estimates? Then a Contract, when the estimate/proposal is accepted?

Does your paperwork (Estimate/Proposal AND Contract) specifically state a payment schedule, Including a deposit?

Was/is your paperwork reviewed by a lawyer for legality? Do you have a relationship with a lawyer?

All of the above CAN help, although none are a guarantee of not getting burned.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard