ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
how do you all go about turning down customers that you get a gut feeling may be a problem to deal with, whether it be payment, delays, poor coordination or people that you don't really feel comfortable with doing electrical work for because they just seem too ignorant or reckless.

do you tell them "i'm not interested in the project, it seems like it might be a pain."
do you lie and say "i'll get back to you on this" or something like that and not get back to them?
or something better

thanks

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
How about just being 'too busy' to be able to take the job?
That way you leave the door open if you ever want to work with them in the future...and eliminate the chance that you'll get a bad rep on social media.

Ghost307
Too busy, and/or unable to conform to performing your job in a timely manner.

Worked for me.

John
G
When my wife was in the HVAC business a very important skill was just being able to just say "no". Taking on a job that you know you are going to lose money on is bad business. "We are not going to be able to do your job right now" is perfectly acceptable but you can always just price yourself out of the job. If you make the price high enough, it still might be worth doing but make that a big number.

Greg Fretwell
W
thanks for the suggestions, i like them

W
what do you think about

"thank you for the consideration but i'm not interested in the project"

if they ask why

"the condition of the property concerns me, and the access to do the work is going to increase the price drastically and i don't think you will be happy with the end price, which means i won't be satisfied with my work, i would only consider that type of work for long-time existing customers."
or
" i get the feeling we might not get along"
or
" i only take problem work like this for long-time existing customers"
or
"i think to do this right would cost more than most people would want to pay and i like for my customers to feel like they got a deal and i wouldn't be able to do that on this job."

"i don't think i am the right contractor for you"

all circumstance dependent obviously

G
I wouldn't use any of those because the day may come when you need his job to get thru a lean time...or need him to not say mean things about you to other potential customers.
I generally like to give them the impression that I would love to take on their job...but circumstances beyond my control won't allow it.

Remember - Salesmanship is all about telling someone to go to hell in a way that makes them look forward to the trip.

Ghost307
G
The safest thing is just to price yourself out of competition and be sure that even if they bite, the price is high enough for you to make enough money to make it worthwhile.
These kind of jobs always come with "risk" and that is the part of a contract that too many people do not price out properly.

Greg Fretwell
W
gfretwell

what if your concerned about payment?

G
If payment is an issue, run away.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard