ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#218083 01/27/17 01:45 AM
IMG_1989.JPG
What's wrong here??

A few boo boo's in this 'ready for cut-in card' to POCO.

Name a few??
10 Comments
G
I would start with the lack of bond bushings and the unbalanced phase conductors in the nipples.
I have seen guys who would call the metallic nipples there a parallel neutral too but I have never called that one.

The sheet metal is likely to be hot enough to cook an egg, with the neutrals in a separate conduit from the hots.

(Are those grounding locknuts on those nipples?)

G
I suggested cooking a pop tart between the cabinets in another thread with this picture but we are on the same page.
I suppose they may have cut a slot between the holes to break the flux lines but I would want to see it.

Greg Fretwell
A
Is it also that the neutrals seem to be bolted directly to the metal box thats a big no no in the UK but don't know about US/CANADA practice

G
This is a CT (metering)cabinet on the line side of the service disconnect so there is no real difference between neutral and ground.

Greg Fretwell
The real tight bend radius on 'c' (yellow) line side, stressed & bent the CT. POCO inspector was not a happy camper about that, after he recovered from a long fit of laughter.

After two (2) attempts, it finally passed inspection.

John
annemarie1:

BTW, the neutrals within the CT can be 'as pictured, IF the install is hot sequence. (CT before Main OCP). IF cold sequence (Main before CT) the neutral must be isolated from ground. (Floating). This is an occasional 'Fail' for some that are not well versed in CT installs.

(Sequence varies by POCOs)

Last edited by HotLine1; 02/02/17 05:36 PM.
G
I have never seen a CT on the load side of the service disconnect because they usually want to seal the CT can and everything on the line side. The service disconnect, MBJ etc has to remain accessible. That may just be a local interpretation of "accessible" tho.

Greg Fretwell
G
Many Utilities put their CTs on the line side (to keep people from stealing power), but it can increase the risk to their own people...others have different priorities.

Ghost307
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard