ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#215847 07/28/15 07:13 AM
4 Images
L
Solutions AS2601

I found it and then ran my PC through it for some time...until, one day (while unplugging a portable radio), a casual bump resulted in a momentary short between active and neutral, resulting in a bright flash (but fortunately nothing more dramatic) and tripping the house circuit breaker. Thankfully, I had brought both of the Arista SPB 1s home by then, so used one of them as the replacement.

Incidentally, there's been a recall of this power-board (or possibly a newer revision). At https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1063847 is a 4-outlet version, and there have been several other similar recalls at around the same time. So I take that this is a store-branded product (not that all store-branded items are crap, of course, although many are).

I then took a second unit that I found home to destroy it (with a hammer). I thought to do a crude flame-test on one fragment of the casing using a match, and it was at least self-extinguishing, although I didn't test for ignition of tissue paper. (I could try again using the first unit, though, if you want me to.)

Note that warning on the back, and also the circuit breaker (pulled from the second unit after smashing the casing) - talk about globalisation! grin
Last edited by LongRunner; 07/28/15 08:38 AM.
16 Comments
There are probably some that are still around. On a shop shelf, in a small local supply house shelf, or some dollar store.

John
C
I still see some of the newer metal cased power strips using a single screw to support the outlets. (Belkin F9D1000-15 , Trip Lite UL800CB-15, and TLM1015NC)
However I don't have one so I don't know if that is accurate (I don't see any photos of the internal construction of the unit) So it may be using the fake buss bar outlets. A buss bar outlet is a piece of plastic that looks like the outlet face with three metal conducting pieces that make up the buss bars

What year did that code change happen that outlets could no longer be mounted by the single screw?

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
I seem to think on or before the 2002. Perhaps, 1999

I have old code books at work to check at first chance.

John
G
That was added in the '93 NEC.

Ghost307
L
I don't have a problem with plastic construction as long as it is reasonably sturdy and complies with the applicable flammability tests (with the possible exception of MOV-based surge suppressors, although they're less than ideal to begin with). That is of course more than I can say for the typical el-cheapos, but then again, thin metal can be just as flimsy.

By the way, what's wrong with the integrated switch + CB?

Last edited by LongRunner; 12/11/15 08:54 AM.
L
Now that I remember...

Originally Posted by gfretwell
Maybe the NRTLs should add a quality rating to the standards. Something could pass the minimum standard but still get a low quality number.

Just such a system existed in the German Democratic Republic many years ago, as shown here. For what seemed like such a good idea, I wonder why it isn't done anymore...(at least not in regard to the quality of electrical fittings) Perhaps it has something to do, ironically, with people only wanting the "best", and not accepting something obviously inferior. crazy

Long Runner,
You have in your profile, an occupation as a "Student".
This site is meant for Electricians and those that are in the Trade.
You seem like a person that only concentrates on plug in stuff, to your detriment.
If you want to be taken seriously, post something more becoming of an Electrician.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard