ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
a very sad day in deed.there seem to be risks involved in anything we do. some a lot more than others. my prayers & condolescences go out to the family.may GOD help them through this terrible tragedy!

G
Apollo 1 (?) - 3 die in fire.

Apollo 13 - 3 survive explosion.

People who take risks often die.

Lots of test pilots have died in aircraft.

2 fatal accidents in 113 flights of the shuttle is a bit high for me.

Finally, 7000 people die each day in the US.

Went to the drag races today. As I watched the cars go down the track, I thought about the shuttle and crew. I thought about the thrill that must be felt by every driver as they blast down the track. It's a dangerous sport. I watched Erica Enders run down the track. She's a pretty girl. What if something in her car failed, and she had an accident? Would drag racing close down? Not a chance.
I thought about the thrill that be experienced by all who travel in space. Challenger.....Columbia....? Will we continue to go into space? You better know it.
As long as there is an "edge" out there for someone to "walk" on, there will be those who take the risk.
God Bless the families of those lost, and God Bless America.

With much sadness, as well as Hope for the future,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Well said, Watt Doc!!

B
I haven't watched the news all day but my hubby pulled up the news on the computer and called me in. I had extra kids here today and didn't want to have the scene running again and again across the TV screen so we opted to watch the video once online and talked a little bit about what had happened. I think it still hasn't really sunk in but we'll watch one newscast so we can know how tragic this loss is and what others have done to reach higher and higher goals. The father of one of the astronauts, Laurel Clark, is from our state and gave a statement to one of the stations. My heart goes out to those families and friends, and also the workforce who helped them achieve this mission as they must surely be in shock and grieving, too. May God bless them.

I
Let's hope they never knew what was happening.

Considering the complexity of a shuttle mission 2 accidents for 113 flights seems pretty amazing to me, no less tragic for the families of those that gave their lives but still a demonstration of our nations abilities, going into orbit and back is no trip to the store.

But I agree with the Watt Doctor these folks knew better then any of us the risks they faced and must have thought it was worth all the danger, very brave indeed.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-02-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
I thought I'd share this poem, penned by a pilot and whose sentiment is shared by every heavenward traveler I've known that expresses their passion and love for flight:

HIGH FLIGHT

by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

This poem was written by a young American, John Gillespie Magee, Jr., who flew with the Royal Canadian Air Force in England at the Start of WW II. He was killed shohrtly after he composed "High Flight."

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things you have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.

Hov'ring there, I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace where never lark, or even eagle flew.

And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod the high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

R
In memory of The Crew of STS 107 Columbia

[This message has been edited by rowd (edited 02-02-2003).]

T
My prayers are with the families and friends of all who died.I was driving up Interstate 45 and was approx.50 miles north of Houston and witnessed it.I didn't know what I was seeing and phoned my wife to see if a plane or satellite had been lost.She said there was nothing on the news at that time.About twenty minutes later,I heard on the radio that it was the shuttle.I felt the same gut wrenching sadness that I had when I witnessed the second plane hit the World Trade Center Towers.It is truly a sad time for our nation,as well as the rest of the world,

Donnie

Donnie
R
My condolences and prayers go out to all the families, and friends of this crew. Even with the space programs outstanding record, any loss of life hurts us all.

Roger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard