ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by harold endean
BigB

If they want you to "Certify" wiring in a house you might be able to write a letter such as,

On this date, I did a NON destructive inspection of the wiring in your house, and judging by what I could see, the wiring in the house seems to meet the present electrical code.
CSA has a standard for inspecting existing homes so I just write "inspected to CSA standard..." It's a good system because it takes into consideration that a home might have met code a few years ago and the wiring is still safe.

BigB #206969 09/08/12 07:03 PM
Harold:
I have to take exception to your words....
"On this date, I did a NON destructive inspection of the wiring in your house, and judging by what I could see, the wiring in the house seems to meet the present electrical code."

As the majority of the resi resales are 'older' homes, if I was writing this letter, it would say...'appears to be visually compliant with the NEC that was in effect when it was built' Additionally, if any work was performed, that should be listed ie: GFI receptacles installed at kitchen countertop, first floor powder room, etc.

John
BigB #206970 09/08/12 07:04 PM
TWH:

Could you post a link to that CSA standard if it is available on the web?

That sounds like a great idea.

John
BigB #206971 09/08/12 07:16 PM
Sparkyak:

"The point of hiring a professional is to deal with an issue."

IMHO, the discussion regarding the "Home Inspectors" falls into a scenario like this:

Here in NJ: Most (if no all) of the HI reports that I have seen consist of many pages of comments, and observations from roof condition to the dripping basement faucet. There is a 'disclaimer' that alludes that a Licensed Electrical Contractor' be consulted/retained to perform a thorough electrical system inspection.

The 'report' regarding the electrical from the average HI is something like..."dangerous FPE panel must be replaced"; "no receptacle outlet at xxx"; "non-operative GFI recept at xxx", "kitchen recepts not spaced to NEC", etc.

John
S
I understand what you are saying. If you can't professionally do it your self, bring in an expert. I've seen good and bad home inspections. Anyone can disclaim their whole job away. I put disclaimers in my electrical inspections. At the same time, I wouldnt dive into home inspections be cause my lack of expertise.

What I'm saying is if an HI is not doing an electrical rather him/herself or bringing in a sub, they are not doing the job they were hired to do. A non professional hires pros to deal with the headaches of a job

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
BigB #206974 09/08/12 10:15 PM
I got you now!!

John
T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by HotLine1
TWH:
Could you post a link to that CSA standard if it is available on the web?
That sounds like a great idea.
http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/c221-canadian-electrical-code/cancsa-c226-no-1-11/invt/27032262011/
It's advertised as $126 for 78 pages, but I'm reluctant to recommend it. My pdf reader shows 70 pages including the cover, blank pages and a page about how it contains recycled material. It might have been much more concise.

The good part is that it covers the basics like height of overhead lines, loose and damaged fittings, and connecting aluminum wire to non-aluminum devices using pigtails, etc.

BigB #206980 09/09/12 01:03 PM
H
In one of my towns there is one EC who loves to go in and "Certify" jobs. It usually costs the HO more than if he did the job from the start. Most EC's I know don't want to to certify anything that they didn't do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard