ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
This is a Dimplex that my wife couldn't live without in a cabinet I built. The rocks on the sides slide out of the way to get to the DVR, satellite boxes, PC, two UPS and other stuff that is buried there on roll out trays.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

This picture was taken before we finished the hearth

Greg Fretwell
S
There are several listing companies that are allowed to use in the US besides UL (US) and CSA (US) ETL and Farmer's Mutual (FM). As mentioned by others, a foreign listing company has to meet certain requirements.
First, if is a 50 hertz stove I'm sure it does not meet US standards. Appliance cords in the US are sold seperate so even though it has a NEMA config plug, it does not meet US standard.

And I seriously doubt and sensible inspector inspector would ok it although it is not covered by the NEC. the recept is, not the stove. It's up to the user to use it properly and liable for misuse. 50 hertz electronic circuits don't mix and I doubt the burners will put out like they normally would

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Originally Posted by gfretwell
BTW JD, how can something be CSA listed and not be OK in Canada? Isn't the "C" in CSA the "Canadian" <Standards Association>?

The problem comes when a product s NOT CSA listed. I heard of hot tubs being rejected that were brought in from USA. We have a lot of cross border shoppers here being so close to the border. Cheaper up front but not if you can't install it without a special one time certification inspection.

M
Keep in mind that even if it is 50/60 hertz rated, in Britian you are dealing with 230v phase to neutral and ground while hear its 120 to ground. HGH instead of HGN

T
For an appliance that shouldn't make any difference in most cases. Most exceptions are more code related than real technical issues, e.g. double pole switching might(!) be required in a 230V HGH setup. The only real exception I know of are some boiler controls which use ionisation flame monitors and require a solid ground reference to work properly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard