ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 428 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
I'm afraid there's no quick, easy, cheap solution.

One option is to have power to all the lights, all the time ... then have a timer at each pole, feeding a photoeye at each fixture, controlling each light. The drawback to this method is that every light will momentarily energize when the photocell is energized by the timer.

Your other choice is a better timer at each pole. That is, forget about 'dusk to dawn' and use an 'astronomical' timer. Such a timer is already programmed with sunset / sunrise times for each day, and will allow you to program a specific time 'off' as well.

S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have found some regular timers with electronic clocks that say they can hold the clock for up to 96 hours in a power failure. That might the trick.

The thing with battery back up devices is they are not typically design for multiple and or long power outages. For example a resi smoke alarm. The battery carries the device but can do it for about a total time of 8 hours and it does not recharge the battery like a fire alarm panel battery. It's is important to to see how the battery is used for the device. If the switch recharges the battery then that would be a great and economical option. A battery operated timer would require a regular battery replacement and it wouldnt be well liked by the customer

Also using any device in a way not intended may void the listing and warranty

Last edited by sparkyinak; 09/30/11 12:14 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Sparky That is what made the Paragon so attractive. It doesn't use a battery, it uses a capacitor that will take lots of cycles.

http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pdf/Papers/supercapacitors.pdf

The most significant advantage supercapacitors have over batteries is their ability to be
charged and discharged continuously without degrading like batteries do.

Greg Fretwell
S
Cool. I need to keep that in mind

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Update

The paragon worked and my wife's electrician thinks she is a genius. He is proposing it in other places now.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard