ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 404 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Thanks Guys for your ideas.

It also has a Westinghouse disconnect on the side of it, as far as people over here are concerned, Westinghouse only make refrigerators. grin

Westinghouse has not built appliances since the 70's or so. laugh laugh But on the other hand they have not built electrical equipment since the mid '90's either.....

T
Weeell... if you actually manage to get stable 380V phase to phase out of it, most modern 400V gear shouldn't be too unhappy unless you drive it to an absolute maximum - a well-regulated 380V supply is well within the tolerances of a long 400V run (high voltage drop).

This thing has to have some seriously creative winding though if it actually puts out 120/380V, maybe completely separate windings for 120 and 380V?

Trumpy Offline OP
Well guys,
This is going to be somewhat of an anti-climax, but I've been taken off that particular job and moved on to "the next big thing" (another shed, groan).
I would have loved to have seen how this generator thing panned out, unless I get sent back there to fix something up in future, chances are I'll never set foot in that shed again, dairy construction is like that, but at least you get to see a fair bit of the country-side.

T
twh Offline
Never say never. When the crud pump fails and they're up to their ankles in it, they'll remember where they left your phone number. In the meantime, you can eat a sandwich.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by twh
Never say never. When the crud pump fails and they're up to their ankles in it, they'll remember where they left your phone number.

It is times like that, mate, that I wish I had one of them un-listed numbers. grin

You'll still get calls, Mike, but that's because the service provider sold your flipping number to a call-center. PITA! You just sit down to a nice plate of bacon, eggs, toast, HP sauce, fried toms and a slab of suet puddin' with lumpy custard and some herbert phones to ask you if you want to buy a heat pump or have your house drenched in woodworm killer. When we bought our broadband-plus-free-phone-calls package, we told no-one our new number and retained our old one to be able to call emergency services in an outage. The cold calls started immediately! In French! Nyyarrggh! mad

My response to all calls on either phone now is to say "Hell-ohh!" in a very plummy upper-class English accent wot I copied off H.M. The Queen.. rose. .the call centres usually just ring off!

Wood work but can't!
T
twh Offline
Alan, eggs and HP sauce, suet pudding and lumpy custard? You don't need an English accent to get rid of those callers. Just tell them what you're eating.

I import my HP [Houses of Parliament] Sauce- it's not to everyone's taste, I know....

Suet pudding is my favorite. Here's a recipe. http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-suet-pastry.html

Suet is the very hard crumbly beef fat found around the kidney area in a carcase. It was used as a pudding / pie shortening to eke out meagre supplies of meat, so it's akin to Yorkshire Pudding, Pizza or Spaghetti with a sauce. If using fresh suet, you need to remove the fibrous adipose tissue and broken blood vessels by ripping the suet up by hand. Chop the cleaned suet finely - 1/4" chips. My butcher gives it to me for free, as the French don't eat it - and as far as I'm aware, neither does anyone else but us older limeys. You may need to visit a specialty butcher. Lard won't work, and for heaven's sake, don't use bird suet- it's full of chemicals and is likely rancid!!
Fillings: Apple [peel, core, chop, add sugar] is my favorite, steamed for at least 3 hours, when the apple will go pink. My Auntie Gussie, sadly departed these 60 years, used to make fabulous puds when I was a lad. She steamed her "4 pint-ers" all day in the wash-tub boiler! The resultant pudding was as light as a Victoria sponge cake.
Chopped bacon is excellent. Steak is also good, chopped up in chunks, with just a little water and seasoning added before sealing the lid to make some gravy. Steam for 2 1/2 hours to get tender meat, [depends on the type of steak]. Don't let the steamer boil dry. Brits usually add chopped kidney, but that's not to all American's taste. Warning: 6000 calories a slice!
Suet puddings MUST be eaten hot. Once cold they are, frankly, just absolutely horrible - so woff the lot while it's hot! As to lumpy custard- just get your kids to make it- never fails!

Last edited by Alan Belson; 07/02/11 07:19 PM.

Wood work but can't!
T
twh Offline
To tie this back to the original thread, there's beef in suet pudding and a dairy barn.

What I meant about the sandwich is that when you work in a dairy barn, you don't eat anything you have to touch - which is what would make suet pudding okay. No one who cares about their health would touch it. Thanks for the recipe, though.

If you check the internet, there are ways to get the lumps out of the custard. Yuck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard