ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Greg--

And those poor fishes getting bonked on the head. Just two words "Shark Bait."

The hidden environmental impacts of some low-carbon energy systems are still to be fully assessed: Low frequency turbine noise making folks ill, turbines killing bats and birds which eat a lot of bugs, thus pushing up farm insecticide use. Tidal tubines silting up estuaries and interfering with lucrative fish/mollusc populations or causing land erosion on coastal areas miles from the sites. Loss of tidal wetlands vital to many migratory birds. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Wood work but can't!
G
I was just reading an article on AvWeb about a flying wind turbine that will fly like a kite about 2000 feet in the air to catch upper level winds.

Greg Fretwell
H
I had another thought. ( Which doesn't happen often) smile With PV systems, I was worried about live voltage running from the roof to the PV equipment. Now the new PV systems have the micro inverters on the roof, so if anything happens, the AC from the roof down will shut off.

The original PV systems with the DC running down can be dangerous. There was reports of firemen getting hurt on the DC voltage while they were trying to put out house fires.

Harold:

Our FD here has concerns about the structures with PV systems. Not so much resi, but the comm/whse installs. We discussed having some type of signage installed, but stumbled on what 'code' could mandate that. We are thinking of requesting signage like "Solar Panels on Roof" posted on the structure, or something similar to the triangle symbol for truss roof construction warning.

The 'bigger' (17k+ panels) install contractor and bldg owner here made arrangements with the Fire Dept to have all four tours visit the site for a 'hands on' look at the system right after going on-line.

to be continued

John
H
John,

That is a great idea, I wish all FD's could get a tour of those PV systems. I think that they would surprised at what they see.

Harold:
The tour came about during one of my visits to the job, and a discussion with the PM.

The PM, and the owner of the site were very acceptable to idea of the 'tour' and maintained the additional access tower stairs they used during the job for another 9 days. The tour included rooftop access thru the interior stairs, skuttle ladders as the tower stairs were removed after the tours.

BTW, the owner agreed to any 'requested' signage, if & when a decission is made.

John
S
Originally Posted by solar2011
Depends of what part of the country you are in and what kind of rebates and incentives are available. Joe Solar up in Alaska will probably have a harder time than someone in New Jersey, Arizona or California. Solar installatioins have steadily increased over the last few years but we can do better.

This industry is incentive driven (http://www.dsireusa.org/) and I think we need to get off that model eventually, especially before the money dries up. I don't think that is possible until the modules themselves really come down in price.

Ontario, Canada is enjoying a boom in solar because of a very lucrative microFiT program, the same type that Germany has had for 5 years. FiTs are a great way to encourage people to install solar as long as the program can sustain itself. Spain, for example, showed us how to run a FiT program, and how not to run one.

microFiT?
hmmmmmm, seems i need a little catch up SolarDude>

http://www.heshomeenergy.com/microfit/

at first sniff, it appears the gov has some serious rebates, and yaknow that isn't a bad thing , we've tax incentive programs, etc

my concern is when the gov starts imposing on people with unfunded mandates. which we're famous for

~S~

S
Originally Posted by harold endean
John,

That is a great idea, I wish all FD's could get a tour of those PV systems. I think that they would surprised at what they see.

oh pleeaaase Harold

the FD wouldn't know a non NEC compliant electrical install from a plate of spagetti

sparky:

sparky:

The resaoning for the FD 'tour' is to familiarize the crews with a large PV install, and actually 'seeing' what is on the roof.

As to NEC compliance and pasta...you're probably 99% right on.

John
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard