ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 396 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ghost:

"Or you could suggest that they bite the bullet and install a combination swtich/receptacle where the receptacle is tapped off the line side. It saves the cost of running a separate 120V circuit so it might work out to the same installed costs when all is said and done"

I think you do not mean to tap off the AC feeder on the line side! Correct?

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The receptacle is fed from a small (properly fused) transformer that is tapped off the line side of the HVAC feeder. That way you will still have 120V power when you open the local disconnecting means for the main unit.

Ghost307
Ghost:
OK, that's a professional way!

John
H
John,

I will agree that there should be a new recptacle on the existing HVAC. However if you read the code, it just says "Need a receptacle within 25' of unit". So this install would meet the code.

If he adds a new HVAC unit, then I think I can make him add a recpt. but if the HVAC is existing, maybe not under Rehab?

Harold:
1990 NEC was 75'; 93 changed to 25', and to date there is no requirement in the NEC for where the 120 volt originates from.

Using the "Rehab Card" gets them a 75' distance IF the original unit was pre 1993 install, after that 25'.

Getting deeper into this, a existing building being renovated, with no change in volume, installing RTUs today is under the 2005 NEC

Source is still the 'wild card'!

John
H
John,

The plumbing inspector just told me how an*l are we to be discussing this small (minute)( pronounced My-nute) of a problem. I explain to him that the NEC tries to be very specific about it's wording and meaning. Yet we as individuals, have to try and carry out day by day installations and inspections with out going crazy over the small things.

Plumbing inspectors usually have comments similar to that regarding all sparkies!

John
G
Plumbing inspectors only have 2 violations they can cite, don't they?

"Cold water is not on the right"

"Poop is not flowing down hill" wink

Greg Fretwell
G
Wasn't there a "Three Stooges" clip about them trying to fix the plumbing in a house?

They pulled down a piece of conduit and figured the reason that the water didn't work was because the pipes were all clogged with wires.

Ghost307
H
Greg,

You forgot one important fact about plumbers. Don't bite your nails! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard