ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
John,

I was reading in the NEC handbook and the word "Usable" was written in there under the writer's comments.

We all know the code, but why would we need a receptacle in the toe kick if there are other wall outlets in the room? Vacuuming? or night light? You can't put a table or chair in front of the bookcase can you?

How about a large screen for the media center? An outlet right in the middle of the screen might ruin the picture.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

harold:
The receptacles were installed to maintain the 6-12-24 spacing. I agree that they may be useless, and even may have been blanked off after final.

Unfortunatley, you and I have to enforce somethings we did not write, nor perhaps personally agree with.

John
H
John,

I don't have a problem enforcing code that I don't always believe in, I didn't always agree with TR recpt. and AFCI's but if the code say's you need them, so be it.

I also tried to get some code changes in past code cycles, the only problem is that by the time I figure out what I don't like with the new code ( Since it doesn't get adopted right away.) The newer code changes are closed out. smile

Harold:
I have a personal issue with the required receptacle on perinsulas & islands. But, I have no option, unless a variation is requested.

John
G
What is the problem with the receptacle on islands and peninsulas?

Greg Fretwell
P
Receptacles in islands and peninsulas are where you plug in the crock pots at a party. (you usually need a couple of circuts for those) Would you rather have a couple 12 or 10AWG extension cords running across the floor?

Greg:
Basically, the 'arguments' about the kids (and adults) possibly getting tangled in the cords. Peninsulas with 'fake' cabinet doors having the 'mandatory' duplex cut into the 'fake' doors as that's the only 'option' for the duplex.

John
G
I think PA summed it up. The danger of extension cords is as bad there as it is anywhere and that is what 210.52 is all about. If you have "kid" problems, don't leave things plugged in. That is no reason not to have the ability to plug things in. Like a lot of things in the code, these rules just create a market for innovative solutions.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-17771562391491_2140_7903344

If they wanted the code to be easy to obey, they wouldn't have made it over 1000 pages long full of arcane language that they change every 3 years wink

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

I understand about "Not leaving things plugged in". However you have too many hungry lawyers out there just looking to blame everyone else for people's mistakes. How many of my electrical friends were sued because somebody got hurt with a coffee pot that fell over. It seems like nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. That is why we "need" TR receptacles, so that people don't stick pins into the receptacle.

H
John,

I you have a full wall of built-in bookshelves that go from floor to ceiling. I really don't see a reason to make someone put a receptacle inside the book case between shelves. There should be at least 1 open receptacle in the room for vacuuming but what would you use a receptacle inside the book case for?

Again, I have to enforce rules, but sometimes I think some rules should be changed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard