ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 417 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Yea, I was waiting for that shoe to drop ....

Let's just say that the plant has multiple issues with their compressed air service as well ... and well outside thew scope of the paint booth issue.

In a way it's ironic ... the easiest way to avoid these issues would be to enclose and heat the painting operation - yet doing so would really ratchet up the 'classified areas' issues. All that ventilation does have its' benefits.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
How about a small point of service FRL dryer? (Filter, Regulator,Lubricator)

Cat Servant
OK... then we still need to change the paint in the lines back into something more fluid than molasses. That is, our heating issue.

G
Build a small heated shed, away from the booth, with a tank of water. Circulate that next to the lines with a small pump and insulate the lines. Keep the paint in the shed too. It should stay warm until it hits the gun. The next question is how do they heat the spray area. I didn't think paint worked that well in cold weather.

Greg Fretwell
F
Greg.,

I know you mention heated shed for paint storage however as far we know about the hazardous storage regulations and I have allready dealt one just not too long ago.,

I have to wired a exhaust fan and it have to be running 24/7 { the only time it will be off if all the pain barrel or any flameable liquid or items is removed complety from the shed }

Now the major issue with most paint I know with very flameable type they will have very low flash point the excat flash point will depending on what type of paint and mixure it will have in there.

You did hit a right idea with heated spray gun with hot water loop and I did try that with one industrial customer before and it work pretty well with hot water loop with insluating materals to keep the lines warm and not get freezed up.

There are some low tempture paint on market but IMO it don't always work very well with outdoor everoment unless it get heated air from air make up unit if that is in the indoor location.

But you will have to add a fuel cost factor to run heated make up air unit for spray booth.

My customer stated that he go thru about 4,000 liter of LP gaz in 3 weeks in super cold days

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Cat Servant
The feedback has been most enlightening.

ECN has countless threads, where someone explains the great efforts required to correct some hack-job. Now, the more I think about it, this entire spray arrangement is just one big hack job.

"Well, it works" will say the sceptic. Actually, no, it doesn't - or I wouldn't have started this thread! I have also yet to get any decent explanation of the fire that once destroyed the place.

Production demands for a quick fix NOW. Management demands to -suddenly- become 'cost conscious.' An absolute refusal to look beyond the convenience of the moment .... let alone consider unlikely chance that Summer will change to Winter. (Heck, that's only happened nineteen times since the place opened - eighteen years ago).

Placing the paint vat in a heated area apart from the spraying area might help- MAYBE. With continual replacement of empty vats with full ones though, the sccess door will be open more often than not, and the door quickly becomes something else that can be broken- and we still have not eliminated the need to determine exactly what areas are 'classified' and which ones are not.

For all the Safety Manager's concerns about the non-rated heat tape, I can't help but suspect that in years past they simply rolled kerosene-powered space heaters in there, and blew hot air directly on the problem points. Or, perhaps, they used some of the 6-ft. "toasters" they have around the plant.

BTW, I was not involved in installing the heat tape; my involvement came after safety concerns were raised. I've pointed them to having a proper evaluation of the area made, and suggested the insurance carrier as a source for the expertise.

I sincerely hope they don't try to fob the 'engineering study' off on some newly graduated intern.

Reno:
Just an FYI, the 'people' that you could speak with are at the link I posted above. They were and are very helpful, and very knowledgeable. Just keep in mind you don't see 'Big Box' pricing (or product) at the link site.

John
S
I too like to think outside the box. Greg's concept is rather creative. And jacketing it in to protect the pex from getting caked in paint plus minimize heat loss. The pex wouldn't have to wrapped around the pipe like heat trace. Unlike heat trace though, the longer the hose is, the hotter the supply has to be. Glycol would have to be used otherwise the system would have to run 24/7 in the cold to keep from freezing like the pipes they are protecting. As I write this, I do see the price going up and up on the concept. They do make heat trace for hazardous areas. Heat trace does not lose heat like the pex would so that's a benefit of heat trace. I too would look at self regulating heattrace. I would contract a manufacturer's technical support to get more info on the application

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Broom Pusher and
Reno,

Nelson Heat Tracing Systems makes a Self-Regulating Trace, which is listed for Class I Division 1 & 2.(Product Family of Reference = "Limitrace").
It is more like a Tube, rather than the normal "Flat Romex-Looking" Cable.

Heat Trace installed in Hazardous (Explosion Hazard) Areas must have Sheath Temperature that do not exceed the ignition Temperature of the Hazardous Gas (or Dust), which is present.

Use a GFPE type Circuit Breaker for the Branch Circuitry (specify 30ma threshold, not the 4-6ma Class A types).
--- However, from the Flash Fire you described earlier in this Thread, if there is a Leakage (Current) on the Heaters, you will be notified by a sudden Ball of Flame long before the GFPE Breaker trips!
smirk whistle

G.E., Siemens, and Cutler-Hammer (Eaton) have Low Voltage MCCB (10KAIC @ 120V) type GFPE Devices - in both Single Pole and 2 Pole Units; with Trip Settings of 15, 20 and 30 Amps.

They look exactly like a Class A GFCI Circuit Breaker, so be aware when you receive the devices from your Distributor!

For G.E., they come in standard Plug-In "THQ" or Bolt-On "THQB" frames.

For Siemens, they come in "BL" and "BQ" frames.

I cannot remember the C-H frame type.

Have fun! wink

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Cat Servant
Thanks, Scott. The project is, well, muddling along. With a recent increase in the temperatures provided by Mother Nature, the 'heat' is off this project .... until the next cold snap!

Regarding that fire .... you can engineer everything to the Nth degree- but all is lost when someone stands in the doorway with a cigarette. Oops.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard