ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Dunno if it really helps Hotone, as sparkyinak is telling us, some poco's are cheaper than others

here in Vermont, there's a big push to shut down our only nuke plant, Yankee.

should this happen, rates will skyrocket.....

[Linked Image from think-energy.net]
costs per state

~S~

~s~:
Based on that great map above....15.12 KWHr in Alaska is not what I call cheap!
NJ is 14.44 KWHr, and SparkyAk siad Hydro is 'dirt cheap'?? What gives?

Any respectable EC can virtually kill any other form of space heating with electric resistance heat on the 'installed' cost, but....pay the piper if the 'use' is not controlled.

John
S
well a number of issues are at play at once here Hotone, the cost of any given fuel type, the efficy of any given fuel type, and the enviromental impact of any given fuel type

kinda hard to juxtapose it all towards what would really be best, but i have to also include that our electrical infastructure isn't really able to assume much more a load

Here, i work with multiple poco's, they all said the same thing when oil spiked, they were worried about the EC's selling more electric heat

One even has a rebate, $$$ per ft of elec heat brought into their shop

Makes me feel like dog the bounty hunter.....

~S~

Cat Servant
If anyone thinks these sorts of rules have anything to do with economy, efficiency, or 'saving the planet,' they're sadly misinformed.

It's all about one person who, despite their ignorance, aspires to make decisions for another .... without the permission of the other person, or any accountability whatever.

Don't make the mistake of trying to reason with these folks. Economic and techhnical issues will change the 'ideal' choice over time. Rather, point to your license and assert that you, not they, are the qualified design pro, and that their opinion has ZERO value, no matter how many seminars they've attended. It's the name on the prints that counts.

These advocates know this, which is why they attempt to insert themselves into the bureaucratic process. Such positioning allows them to enforce their 'feelings' without ever having bothered to have built anything.

Freeze them out, shut them down ... before they destroy us.

S
author=renosteinke
If anyone thinks these sorts of rules have anything to do with economy, efficiency, or 'saving the planet,' they're sadly misinformed.

true, but it woudn't stop me from having a life sized statue of Al Gore outside my office door .....(i'm not proud when i'm hungry)

It's all about one person who, despite their ignorance, aspires to make decisions for another .... without the permission of the other person, or any accountability whatever.

can you say AFCI?

Don't make the mistake of trying to reason with these folks. Economic and techhnical issues will change the 'ideal' choice over time. Rather, point to your license and assert that you, not they, are the qualified design pro, and that their opinion has ZERO value, no matter how many seminars they've attended. It's the name on the prints that counts.

design build meets the invisible hand of the market, kinda like 'son of Godzilla', just meaner & greener....(with appologies to T. Friredman)

These advocates know this, which is why they attempt to insert themselves into the bureaucratic process. Such positioning allows them to enforce their 'feelings' without ever having bothered to have built anything.

Freeze them out, shut them down ... before they destroy us.

all kidding aside Reno, a few more years of seeing altruism thrown to the wind, and you'll sound as cynical as i do!

~S~

G
There is something bogus about that map. I know my power averages out to more like 13-14 cents not the 11 they say there. I suspect there is some tax or fee they are ignoring.

As for Alaska, I bet 15 cents is cheap compared to the alternatives. Everything is expensive up there. When we were there we called it the land of disappearing hundred dollar bills.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:

your partial comment from above..."point to your license and assert that you, not they, are the qualified design pro,"

In some instances here (NJ) a Lic. EC is not a 'design pro'. By the book, an EC is limited to the 'design' portion of a lot of jobs. Probably a rule written by the Architects/EEs/PEs, but alas one that I have to abide by as an AHJ. We here (NJ) are known to some as s state of red tape.

John
G
John, the same is true in Florida. You have to be careful throwing the "design" word around or you will be needing a PE/architect stamp.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I will concede that contractors' licenses ... indeed, all licenses, by definition ... have limitations. I suppose that's the real point: WE recognize limits; THEY do not.

Timing is everything. After my post this AM, the news revealed the arrest of several foreign spies, deliberately sent here to infiltrate and influence 'policy' matters. No more stealing military secrets - they wanted one of their guys in a position to get our leaders to compel us to act against our interests.

Against that headline, maybe I've been ahead of the curve.

Sure, this is a 'trade' forum; you want politics, there are countless other places to find them. Yet, it is impossible to remain aloof when others introduce politics into the mix. "Law" is an inherently political field - and these 'energy' regulations directly impact our abilities to do our jobs as best we can.

S
thanx for the link. I made one in a spreadsheet but its just oil and electricity. Staples for heat here

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard