ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 404 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
OK, How about a Jandy (sp?) panel for an outside hot tub? Do you need a full 30" clearance in front of the panelboard? There are several breakers inside ( motor, light, blower, etc) however there are 2 large pumps in front of the panel. You can open the panel door to 90 deg and more, and there is nothing directly in front of the panel, just those 2 motors on the ground right in front. You have to reach over the motors to work on the panel.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Harold, I've never worked under an AHJ who would let me out of the requirement in the case you cite. It's definitely a "switchboard or panelboard". The pool guys love to take up all the available space when they get there first, but when the inspector won't let anyone in the pool they usually move those pumps. The only thing I've seen get by is obstructions in the space above the panel, especially if it was existing.

G
I think I would be more concerned about that Jandy panel than a condenser disconnect. You have a lot better chance of a marginally qualified person working on it. Having obstructed work space makes even more likely that "pool boy" will fall into an energized conductor. (maybe wet and barefooted)

Greg Fretwell
H
I have an EC trying to tell me that it is OK to have the pool pumps right in front of the Jandy panelboard, because you can open the panel 90 deg and more, plus you can still work on the breakers/equipment. (You just have to reach over two 2hp pump motors!)

G
Well Harold, it sucks to be wrong, especially when it's going to cost money. But the EC in the case you cite is just wrong. That Jandy panel needs the same clearance as any other.

H
I got in touch with the DCA last week and they agreed with my decision and I know that it is tough for the EC, but the pool people should have thought of that before they installed the pumps in front of the panel. I believe the EC was there first, so the pool people should be made to move their equipment.

Harold:
Wasn't the accident where a pool person got electrocuted caused by reaching over a pump to reach a disconnect?

Yes, the motor was not bonded properly as I remember.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard