ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
I especially like their 3/8" Greenfield for $16.90 per foot. Now why didn't I think of this. Out come the tin foil hats!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
twh Offline
How do you find this stuff?

Some grad students at MIT did a study with a couple different designs of the AFDB, and concluded it makes the "problem" worse by acting as an antenna and attenuating the signal.

I'll see if I can drum up the more "serious" site that sells underclothing with silver woven in with the thread, that's supposed to block harmful EMF.

Broom Pusher and
Joetools,

As mentioned by the other Members, "Shielding" the Conductors is an effective method to reduce field emissions.

Shielding may be achieved by encasing Conductors in a Metallic Sheath, and by twisting the Conductors.

The Wiring methods performed on an installation, should have an overall result which balances the current flowing through any given Circuit, in a certain raceway or Cable.

This is stated as "Currents Canceling Each - Other's Fields".

A Two- Wire Circuit cancels the fields because each Conductor draws the same level of Current, but the Currents are flowing in opposite directions at any given point along the Two - Wire Circuit.

For example, a 120V 1200 Watt Heater connected with 12-2 NM Cable, will have 10 Amps flowing on the Black Conductor and the White Conductor.
Since these Currents are flowing in opposite directions at any given time, AND the Currents are of equal value on both Conductors, the Fields are canceled.

If the same Heater was connected to some other 2 wire Circuit's White Conductor, this would cause an imbalance of Current flowing in both of the affected 2 wire Cables, and thus would not cancel out the Fields completely.Let me know if you need more descriptions.

*** SIDE NOTE ***

If someone pulls out their "Field Sniffer" (milli gauss meter) to take field strength readings, be sure they know how to use it correctly!

Taking readings at very close proximity to ANY Discharge Lighting Devices (Fluorescent Lamps, HID Lamps, even CRT Televisions and possibly LEDs) will result in high level readings on ANY Meter!

Same will happen with Transformers and such.
The levels will rapidly drop as the distance increases.

Scott

Last edited by Scott35; 03/04/10 05:25 AM.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
Normal standard 12/2 romex is already EMF resistant, as the magnetic fields created by the two wires cancel out almost completely- the only reason it's not 100% is because the wires are separated by a few mm. You have to get right up on it to measure any field; at larger distances, they cancel pretty good.

If they're concerned about this, treat them like audiophiles and profit from their paranoia. A sealed metal raceway is an effective faraday cage. Wire the house entirely in compression-coupled EMT, and ensure every circuit is fitted with an EMF imbalance device (put a sticker on a GFCI). Make sure all the walls are covered with conductive foil. Caution them against using wifi or cell phones. Not that they'll will work with all the foil in their walls, but that's their choice.

If they're REALLY paranoid, you can built the entire home to HEMP standards, which not only protects them from nuclear EMP, but also from harmful emissions from their neighbor's wifi and their other neighbor's poorly sparking truck.

Broom Pusher and
Steve;

iagree

Love the Audiophile reference!!! laugh clap

Really love the paranoia references!!! grin clap

I forgot to mention to the OP, that type NM Cable will be fine for the installation - in either 2 or 3 Wire arrangements
with Conductors sized per application (i.e.:Circuit and Load sizes), of course!

The sad reality of your post is there are so many Clients, whom have been force-fed way too much Bandini-Tech regarding Electro-Magnetic fields, that the items in your Audiophile and paranoids lists would be taken as serious design parameters.

It is hard to explain to these Clients what is real, and what has been extremely fabricated.

Technically known as "Male Bovine Fecal Matter", most - if not all of the information regarding EM Fields, spewed out by Snake Oil Electrical Gurus, would be better used spread across Lawns; as it will make the Grass grow much greener!
(i.e.: Packaged in 2.0 cu. ft. bags, found in the Lawn & Garden Section of Home Centers, sold under the name of "Bandini")

Just look at the $150.00 Hubbell 5362 "Audio-Grade" Receptacle. That's one heck of a Bandini salesperson angle!

Thanks for mentioning the NM Cable, and especially for the humorous shielding options!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
I suspect the root of all of this is the fear of powerlines. When someone pointed out the field from your house wiring is stronger than the field from that 100' tall power line they say "Oh no! my house wiring is going to kill me faster than that dangerous power line" and off you go.

You define a fear, real or imagined and someone will come along with a solution, real or imagined.

There is a guy who will take care of your pets after the rapture, for a small fee.

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
I don't care what you say. I recognize a good business when I see it and I already made my first sale! I calling in sick tomorrow, and then, well, we'll just have to see who laughs last.

Here's my first happy customer.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Is there a place on this site for advertising? EMF HATS FOR ALL!

twh #192826 03/05/10 10:50 AM
G
Is anyone else amused that the truly paranoid people get completely bent out of shape about the powerlines running 20' overhead on poles in the alley, but don't make a peep about the same powerlines when they're run in the parkway 4' under the grass?

smile

Ghost307
G
... or have an electric blanket.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard