ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
The problem with a CFL PAR lamp is the ballast is above the reflector so none if that heat gets radiated down. I assume they know that and design accordingly.

Greg Fretwell
J
I have 26W CFLs in porcelain bulbholders in my garage. They are base up and the instructions call for base down. sometimes they get left on all night and I have not noted any apparent issues. Even being frequently switched the lifespan is still good.

Tom Offline
As stated above, CFL's can be used in recessed cans and have been investigated by UL for use in a 6 or 8 inch diameter luminaire. The only restriction to this is if the lamp is marked and stated not for such use. You can find the entire White Book listing under Lamps, Self-Ballasted and Lamp Adapters (OOLR)

The stated lamp life for most fluorescent lamps is partially based on how often the lamp is turned on. I've heard that some brands will last almost as long as the stated life even when turned on and off frequently. Unfortunately, no one ever mentioned exactly which brands do well with frequent switching.

Last edited by Tom; 12/06/09 02:50 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard