ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 409 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gfretwell #196104 09/13/10 06:04 PM
Cat Servant
Bringing life back to this thread .... it appears -I haven't read the 2011 yet- that they'll want AFCI's added if you do ANY work on an existing circuit.

With the very large numbers of fuse boxes, FPE, Zinsco, and XO panels still in use, there's no easy way to add an AFCI - unless AFCI devices really do become available.

To be fair, we encounter the same issue when the homeowner wants 3-prong receptcles in his K&T house; where does the GFCI go? At least we can use a device (which is harder than it sounds because of short wires and smaller boxes) - which beats a complete service change and re-wire any day.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I suppose you can still mount a small sub panel to feed a circuit that requires AFCI. That will certainly add some money to that simple "add a receptacle" call.
In my opinion it only encourages unlicensed.unpermitted work but I suppose you can say that about most code changes that require additional equipment.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #196118 09/14/10 05:28 AM
S
Im with Reno on this one. Adding a duples recept shouldn't require a service upgrade. Its a hard sell to tell them you will charge them $80-$100 an hour just by being there and, "You telling me I need a sub panel for a receptacle to plug my foot massager in? screw that, I'll can get an extension cord for lot less money"

As for the smaller box comment for the GFCI Reno, just do what I do. square up the GFCI to the box and palm it really hard and quick. It will go in. It it breaks, it was ment to be repaired any ways

Last edited by sparkyinak; 09/14/10 05:32 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
gfretwell #196410 09/30/10 09:48 PM
G
Eaton/CutlerHammer CH220AFIT and CH215AFIT are 2 pole independent trip AFCI's that will work in a MWBC.

Reno:
Here in Nj (as it now stands) we use the '08 NEC with some amendments, HOWEVER...the '05 (as amended) is 'the rule' for any rehab work. AFCI is not required for service change, panel change, or work within an existing structure. AFCI is required in new construction, and any additions. "Addition" is defined as an increase in volume. An exception to this is IF existing circuits are 'extended' into the addition area.

After you digest the above....

Soon (not my word) the State will update the Rehab portion of the UCC, and rumors abound that the AFCI requirements will be modified to include 'new work'.

Now that I probably added to everyones confusion...I have to go back out in the rain

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard