ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 402 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
I concur...check with more than just the NEC.

There's nothing in the NEC about the types of lights that can be used in a commercial kitchen, but the NSF has very tight regulations that you either follow...or you change the lights out for what they want.

Asking is free...re-doing the work isn't.

Ghost307
Broom Pusher and
KJay:

Glad to see that my reply was of assistance.

Per your latest post:

Just wondering, when designing a walk-in or other cold storage environment, do you find that there is a need to address the issue of an air space behind conduits for walk-in food storage areas for sanitary washdown reasons or is it generally considered acceptable to attach conduits directly to the walk-in’s interior surfaces?

Response:

Depends on the situation. Most of the time, when Conduits are run inside the Box - exposed (on the surface), we will mount runs on "Mini's" (Minerallac Straps), which raises the run apx. 1/4" off the Surface.
Otherwise we use Two-Hole Straps, although this method is not commonly used (Mini's are more commonly used).

In Conditioned areas, the Structural Walls & Columns are "covered" with Insulating Panel Partitions. The "Lid" (Ceiling) is also covered with Insulating Partitions.
These Panels are made of PolyStyrene ("Styrofoam), with an Acrylic cover.
Thickness range from 3" to 12", depending on the criteria.

When mounting any equipment (Conduits, Outlets, Disconnects, etc.) on the Partitions, verify if the static load does not exceed 35 Lbs. If it does, or the equipment is subject to movement or other mechanical forces, strapping should be done via the following method:

1: Mount an appropriate length of 1-5/8" Unistrut on the Structural Member - be it a Wall, Ceiling or Column, for the "Base" piece of strut,

2: Insert 2 or more segments of Threaded rod into the "Base" piece, via threaded spring nuts, (cut these pieces apx. 3/4" - 1" longer than the thickness of the Insulated Panel),

3: When the Insulated Panel is installed (prior to completion), seal around the threaded rod penetrations, then mount an additional piece of Strut on the surface of the Insulated Panel. Secure it to the rod with Washers, Lockwashers and Nuts.
***Note: some trimming of the rod may be necessary.

4: Mount the equipment / Conduits to the Unistrut.

*** Note: If the Structural Member is a Concrete Tilt-Up Panel, you could install drop-in anchors, and mount the threaded rod directly from those anchors - thereby eliminating the need of the "Base" strut piece.

...................................................................................................................

Stand-offs may also be constructed from Acrylic or PVC flat stock - typically of 1/4" to 3/8" thickness.
The Stand-Off is mounted to the Partition, and Two-Hole Straps are mounted to the Stand-Off.

For above the Box runs, we mostly run a Trapeze, supported from the Structural above (Purlins, Sub Purlins, Tube Joists, etc.).
If runs are mounted directly to the top of the Box, we mount Deep Strut to the top, and run everything on the Strut.

Most of the "Box-In-A-Box" Projects require "Task Areas" above the Box, to clean the accumulation of debris, Dirt and such, so clearances for the Cleaning Crews is important, as is air spaces for thorough cleaning.

The reason I ask is because I have seen it done both ways before, but was never really sure if it was Health Code related, design specification or just installer preference.

Response:

So have I!!! smile

Best idea is to verify with the Building Department (Electrical Inspector), _AND_ the County Health Services's Plans Examiner / Inspector.

What type of hanger or support method would you normally recommend or require for mounting conduits in walk-in interiors used for food storage and other similar cold storage areas?

Response:

For single runs of exposed Conduits sizes 1/2" and 3/4", I suggest using Mini's. They provide Stand-Off, and are relatively inexpensive (material cost and labor to install).

If the Insulated Panels have "Flimsy" covering, go with the Acrylic flat stock bases with Two-Hole Straps.

If mounting requires something "Beefy", go with the Unistrut mounting methods.

Good luck on your Projects.

Let me know if you would like some of my Detail Drawings, or if you have additional questions.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard