ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 411 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
In hard times you need to think outside the box. I doubt many people are going to be doing residential new construction and those who do will be working at "break even" prices if they are lucky. I still have some contacts at a big national builder and their P&E department is on a national quest to cut costs and squeeze the contractors as hard as they can to hit a price point.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I've been teaching at the local trade association, which has provided me with a view of perhaps 1/3 of the local electrical contractors. We're ALL hurting; long-timers say this is the worst it's been since 1979, maybe even worse.

A bad time to start a business? One of our most robust members started in 1979.

A number of contractors who had limited themselves to tract homes are now doing commercial work. Apart from the increased competition, their journeymen have a wage advantage over commercial journeymen. Job walk-throughs that once had but three or four guys show up now have 20. Several of the more 'reputable' firms have simply stopped bidding when this happens; there simply isn't the margin.

All that said, remember that no two businesses are exactly the same! For example, my business - which started with a focus on tenant improvements - has found itself drawn into more heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and plumbing related work.

One simply must keep their eyes open; for example, the principal of our largest refrigeration contractor is retiring, and his heirs are weak. This means an increaded demand for an alternative provider. I already have some courses in this area ... and you can bet I'll take some more!

Likewise, this might be a good time to get yourself some phone / data / alarm / solar / lighting training and certifications.

S
well things have changed.

the trades here were infiltrated by the ex-shop workers when all the shops got outsourced

maintenance , at least in terms of physical manpower, was something that couldn't be had via some phoneline to India with a dude who called himself 'Joe'

so they hid within our ranks for a living....

the thing is, sh*t rolls downhill, assuming everyone is aware how we're quickly becoming bailoutistan , one can also see how it gains speed

like anyone else, i'm used to being competitive upon a level playing field, change the goal posts and rules on me, and the future becomes less predictable

~S~

G
The guy who fixes my wife's gates is working 16 hour days. He is good at it and gets more work than he can handle.

Greg Fretwell
S
well there's always someone who can make good no matter what the economy's doing Greg

too bad there's no such thing as an electrical forclosure business.....

i'd be the snidley whiplash of the trade!

~S~

S
Every upcomming job I had called at the same time. Within two weeks I had calls for two resi rough ins, two trim outs, service work, all just days after I started a 15K square foot ace hardware fast track project. Problem is, its only me and my helper with 8 weeks experience. I had to hire 2 guys 4 weeks ago to keep up. I also hired an electrician friends to rough in a house for me. The Lord has blessed me with good contractors. I am looking at two more commercial jobs tommorrow.

S

The Lord has blessed me with good contractors.

I wish the Lord would bless me with just a little more hair on my backside...

Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows zero to 6 below. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph this evening...becoming light and variable.

L
Fire Alarm: I was told 20 years ago. Recession proof.
Now i specialize with in that end.. busy every day.

Just like a doctor, specialize, you can always go back to being a general practitioner.

S
i figure i can always go busking....

Sparky:

????

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard