ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SteveFehr #180837 09/12/08 12:12 PM
G
I am still not sure what the violation would have been. The cable was marked "THHN or THWN"

http://esteroriverheights.com/electrical/ser.jpg

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

gfretwell #180844 09/12/08 08:54 PM
K
Greg,
Here is basically what we are told when this comes up at code seminars in my area, and it seems to come up at every one.
Without the outer sheath or jacket, the UL label/mark is now missing and is no longer valid since you have intentionally field altered a listed cable assembly by removing the outer jacket more than is necessary for normal splicing and termination. Without the jacket, there is also no cable or conductor identification as required in 310.11[A] or 310.11[B], [1].
With the outer jacket intact it is the cable assembly SE/SER, designed for use in above ground installations. With the jacket stripped off more than necessary for splicing and termination, it is now scrap since without the jacket it also doesn’t meet NEC 310.11 requirements for individual conductors or cable assemblies.
I’m pretty sure the reason that the conductors aren’t marked individually, is so that it would be obvious that they were designed and listed to be used only as a cable assembly with an overall jacket or sheath. Just like NM-B [Romex].
Anyway, this explanation makes sense to me and has been enforced by inspectors in my area for many years.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard