ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Copied from comments section of video:

Reuters'

A colombian electrical worker got killed when attempting to reinstall a sliding rack breaker unit. The unit had been dismantled recently for contact re-plating procedures.

The final inspection wasn't properly done. The high tension insulation test was scheduled for the next day. But the workers accidently installed it before the final testing procedures had been done.

The colombian electrical company is investigating the case.

The worker was declared dead at the hospital. Recommandation from the coroner suggest that an adequate arc flash protective gear would have save the life of Mr.Pietro Rammone. Unfortunatly the specialized equipment was not available at the scene.

"We can do it, you can't help" said my son to the HD guy
Cat Servant
Thanks for the follow-up.

As for PPE ... an experience today ought to give us something to consider.

A six-man crew from the PoCo arrived today, to replace the service drops on my block. (The homes were supplied by wires whose insulation was not sunlight resistant - the maker has skipped town - and was badly checked.) Today was also the hottest day, so far, this year. Temperatures were near 100, and the sun was only slightly dimmed by California smoke.

The crew, to a man, was dressed in long-sleeve shirts, high neck T-shirts, hard hats and safety glasses. While actually working on the energized wires, leather gloves were worn.

I would submit that this ought to be the minimal level of clothing worn when inside a 'hot' panel.

The shirts and trousers strongly resembled standard USN dungarees .... that is, denim trousers and chambray shirts. It should also be noted that, though their work was partly along the roadway, reflective vests were NOT worn. I suspect that there might be an arc flash issue with those.

The services worked on were all 150 amp or less, 240/120v.

S
Originally Posted by M_Grabill
Copied from comments section of video:

Reuters'

A colombian electrical worker got killed when attempting to reinstall a sliding rack breaker unit.

<etc.>

I read father down the thread. The guy who posted that story, when asked for a link, stated that he made it up, and pretty much laughed at everyone who had believed his story. mad

J
Originally Posted by renosteinke
reflective vests were NOT worn. I suspect that there might be an arc flash issue with those.

The services worked on were all 150 amp or less, 240/120v.

Any synthetic material should not be worn working on electric. In an arc flash the material melts and sticks to your skin.

N
Originally Posted by jdevlin

Any synthetic material should not be worn working on electric.

You found a way to grow Nomex? Don't tell DuPont, or they'll steal your seeds...:)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard