ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 200 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
sbi Offline
good luck. work hard and do your best. Remember that they will always be those people out there that don't want you to make it, But un derstand that its not their fault they are dumb. I faced a hard time getting started in the trade being black and everything workedout

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
saras #176290 03/28/08 07:19 PM
When I was a project manager, I had a "forewoman".

She excelled in the field, where the foremen often failed.
Her paperwork, as built plans, etc. were flawless. I only had to call her once a day to see how things were going, and always was pleased with the progress made. She had her personal goals for the day.
She actually wrote stuff down!!!
Punctual, sober, and dependable, she was the ONE that I knew would not let me down, and would be truthful.

It's all about the attitude

I wish I had a whole crew of them.

L
LK Offline
Here in New Jersey we have a women in the consumer affairs department, that fields code problems from contractors state wide, she really knows her electical, and the codes.

LK #176292 03/28/08 08:49 PM
The lone girl (a senior) in my shop is the nicest out of all of the seniors. Knows the code in and out, and knows how to do things right, and does them right. (Example, the seniors and juniors are doing the wiring for the school's new smart boards and projectors, and her work looks the best out of the rest.) She's also the #1 ranked senior, which should say something.

I have no problem with women in the trades, but yeah, some people will treat you differently. IMO (and my instructor's), the person's attitude matters more than their gender. The advice from the senior, "Don't let them intimidate you, just do the job and prove yourself." The girls in carpentry, machine tech and welding say the same thing.

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 03/28/08 08:50 PM. Reason: Edited 'cause I still kant type!

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
Female managers seem to work out very well when working with techy/trade guys ... as soon as they get over the hump of credibility. One of the best managers I ever had at IBM came up through the ranks of the dispatchers. She wasn't just a regular field manager, she was the tech support manager over the crustiest old bastards who had been around a while. Sometimes knowing too much about what the people who work for you do is a bad thing. As my wife used to say, she doesn't have a clue how to float drywall or lay blocks but she knows what they look like when they are right (or wrong). Managers are really in charge of the process, not the procedure.

Greg Fretwell
saras #176302 03/28/08 10:49 PM
L
Originally Posted by saras
Hey all, new here... I'm a 33yr old mom of two entering the electrical trade. took my pre-app, I may have my foot in the door at a great company in town. Very excited!

I just can't get this chip off my shoulder that things are different for me bc I'm a girl. What's your honest opinion. seriously, I can take it.

#1 Go for it.
#2 whats wrong with a chip on your shoulder?
#3 (BC I'm a girl) the pros will never notice. The others... Screw them.
#4 Intelligence and the willingness to learn, realy do supercede all. It aint all muscle, a great part is brain.
#5 You worry too much.
#6 You've done more already (as a parent) than most around you will know. Take that confidence with you.

Just be real and most will help. There are jerks around, But I assume you already know that.
#7 Go for it.(not a typo)

By the way.. Welcome, good to have you on board!

Last edited by leland; 03/28/08 10:51 PM.
leland #176323 03/29/08 04:50 PM
S
If all else fails, take a piece of 1/2" EMT and bend a perfect 180 around the culprits head. That should solve his prob. smile

S
Forget the EMT, it is too soft. Just use the business end of the bender

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
I worked with a young lady as an apprentice. She did OK, but had trouble with strength for example she had trouble cutting 10/3 romex, BX cable etc. (some of you will remember bx lol) She ended up working for the phone co. Last I saw her she was servicing pay phones(remember those) I personally tried to help her, even got the boss to get her smaller linemans to fit her hands better.

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
L
I will stand by "brains not brawn".
I and others I know will get help with the "hard" stuff.

if you want it,you'll get it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard