ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 422 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
sbi #175830 03/12/08 10:41 AM
G
I understand this is getting to be an employers market and in some places jobs are hard to find but you have to understand paying for your own tools at work is really a salary reduction. Since you are being paid on a W2 deducting them from your taxes is not really that effective either since there is a percentage you have to eat on a 2106. You end up paying for tools twice, once to the tool store and again to the tax man.

Greg Fretwell
J
Would you mind telling us what type industry you are working in. For example if you said "textile" I would understand your circumstance better. I have spent the majority of my career in plant engineering and maintenance. There is a world of difference depending on what your company is manufacturing and the mind set of the suits.
The previous poster was correct about the safety aspecs of your job. They rush rush for production, then when you get hurt it's your fault and a drug test will promptly follow. However, if they treat you fairly and provide the basic benefits, you may end up with a pretty good job.

sbi #175844 03/12/08 09:00 PM
Cat Servant
OK, SBI ... that enlightens us quite a bit. Probably the best thing to do is to drop by the chat some evening, for some more specific advice.

In the meantime .... A small roll-around certainly has it's place. One of the mid-grade Sears Craftsman models, with a molded plastic top and particle board insert should do just fine.
Keep an eye on the size, for two reasons. First, a large one might not fit where it needs to go; second, don't take anything to work that you can't take home on a moments' notice.

Lack of a megger suggest a bottom shelf operation. You're probably going to be working more with parts changers than real problem solvers. You beat them with education.
Contact your community college, and get a few courses under your belt. I'd start with troubleshooting, followed by a controls course. These will help you understand the processes at work.

Get familiar with Harbor Freight, and other such 'cheap import' places. It's not about price here; they're your easiest source for a lot of 'industrial' tools .... pullers, pneumatic ratchets, etc. I expect you'll need them.

Keep an ear open for places where your co-workers have been employed .... and check those places out. Don't let horror stories put you off - check the places out first hand. It's likely some of your co-workers are on their way 'down,' rather than 'up.' Plan on moving to a better job after you have a course or two under your belt ... but be ready for the layoff the first slow-down or management change that comes around.

If the company doesn't actively encourage education, keep your mouth shut. Telling folks you're taking classes will create problems ... trust me on this! If you just happen to find a problem faster - well, the reason why will be our little secret.

sbi Offline OP
ok, thanks guys. i can't really say were i work but i can say that we are more of a machine shop type place. we slit and roll metal. I will also try to drop by the chat room on the weekends since i am on second shift. oh and by the way we are iso certified

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
sbi #175875 03/13/08 05:40 PM
A
Sbi, good luck first of all. I started in the trade many years ago as a apprentice industrial maint electrician in a manufacturing plant.I think that was the best way at least for me.Every 1000 hrs. you would receive so much money for a tool allowance. a great place to work and learn till they closed down.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard