ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 416 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Originally Posted by Check Pilot
etech -Please, please, please don't go to flat rate, square foot or any other "all singing, all dancing" method of estimating your jobs.I posted under another thread just recently here about things related to pricing. My bean counter and I tried flat rate for about a month or so a long time ago as well as square foot stuff. The flat rate stuff killed us because we didn't realize all the associated costs then. After a long time, I still don't think we know ALL the costs of carrying out the business, but we have a pretty good handle on it - maybe within about a couple of hundred bucks. It still boils down to going out and counting each item that needs doing, whether it's a new construction, renovation or repair and having a good idea of how long it's going to take and just what material you need to get the job done.

I really, really wish it wasn't that way, but it is. Hope that helps you.

Now if I could just get the rockers from covering our receptacles. GRRRR!

laugh don't confuse flat rate/upfront pricing on residential service work with swag/sq foot/unseen unit pricing on new work...2 different worlds and 2 different things

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Why con't you use both. I use flat rate for the easy ones. Saves time bidding and you get the job and check when your done. Customers seem to like having a price right away. I have my own rate book for stuff like fishing in a receptacle. Wieghing the variables is the catch (plaster, wood, wire or plaster lath, etc) Knowlegde is power(lol)

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
T
I've used flat rate for 5 years on residential remodeling work. It works well if it's set up well and you know to adjust for actual conditions. Like T&M it's always better to be a little on the high side. With flat rate you can't ask for more money on the work just because you quoted too low. Without task prices I'd forget the little details of non-productive time like restocking, recordkeeping, as well as profit goals.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard